How To Make A Chestnut, Mushroom And Shallot Pie.
Get your taste buds ready for National Vegetarian Week 2018 (which runs from 14-20 May) with this Chestnut, mushroom & shallot pie.
How To Make A Chestnut, Mushroom & Shallot Pie:
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes – 1hour
- 200g cooked chestnuts (such as Merchant Gourmet vacuum packed)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 200ml red wine
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 25g butter
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 12 shallots, peeled & left whole
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 2 tbsp Beurre Manie (1 tbsp flour mixed to a paste with 1 tbsp softened butter)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 225g puff pastry
How To Make:
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6.
2. Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the olive oil to stop it burning and fry the onions until slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms, bay leaves and rosemary and cook for a further 4-5 minutes.
4. Add the chestnuts, red wine and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the onions are soft.
5. Add the beurre manie, stirring constantly until is dissolves, and cook for a further 5 minutes until the sauce is thickened.
6. Stir in the mustard and flat leaf parsley and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Spoon the mixture into a pie dish.
7. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and place on top of filling, crimping the edges to seal the pie. Cut a cross in the top of the pastry to let the steam out during cooking.
8. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden. Serve immediately.
Recipe and image courtesy of UK Shallot
What do you think of this How To Make A Chestnut, Mushroom & Shallot Pie recipe?
Fancy trying it?
You might also like: