Happy Friday. Almost the weekend. Are you doing any baking this weekend? Fancy making a Rhubarb, almond and vanilla galette anyone?
This flat round cake of pastry busting with rhubarb and other delicious flavours would be perfect for an after Sunday dinner treat. How tasty!?
Preparation time: 25 minutes + marinating, chilling and cooling
Cooking time: 30 minutes to 35 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes to 1 hour + marinating, chilling and cooling
How To Bake A Rhubarb, Almond & Vanilla Galette:
Serves: 10 – 12
- 400g pack Cooks’ Ingredients Forced Rhubarb, trimmed
- 100g light brown soft sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways, seeds scraped out
- 100g ground almonds
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar, to sprinkle
- 50g toasted flaked almonds
For The Pastry:
- 300g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 75g caster sugar
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 150g unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 1 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Egg, beaten, plus extra for glazing
What To Do:
1. Cut the rhubarb stalks into 3-4cm lengths. Mix in a bowl with the brown sugar, vanilla seeds and pod. Set aside.
2. To make the pastry mix the flour, sugar and salt together in a large bowl. Rub in the butter until you have a sandy texture. Using a table knife, mix in the egg with 4-5 tbsp of ice-cold water, to form a rough dough. Knead very briefly until the dough comes together, then cut off one-third. Flatten each piece into a roundel about 2cm thick and wrap in clingfilm or parchment. Chill for at least 20 minutes, or for up to 1 hour.
3. Line a large baking tray with baking parchment. Dust a clean surface with flour. Roll the larger pastry sheet to a rough 30cm roundel, about the thickness of a £1 coin. Transfer to the prepared tray. Scatter the ground almonds into the centre and top with the rhubarb mixture, leaving a 5cm border exposed. Discard the vanilla pod.
4. Roll the smaller piece of pastry to a 23-25cm roundel and cut into 7 strips, each about 3cm wide. Lay four strips, evenly spaced, over the fruit. Working one at a time, lay the remaining 3 strips in the opposite direction, interweaving them with the other strips as you go, to create a lattice, then tucking the ends under neatly. Brush with beaten egg and scatter with demerara sugar. Chill for at least 30 minutes or freeze for 15 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7. Bake the galette towards the bottom of the oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 190°C, gas mark 5, and cook for a final 15-20 minutes until golden and the base is crisp. Rest for at least 30 minutes, before scattering with toasted flaked almonds. Serve warm or cold. Delicious with vanilla ice cream.
Recipe courtesy of Waitrose.
What do you think of this Rhubarb, Almond & Vanilla Galette?
Do you fancy adding it your thing’s to bake list?
Let us know if you make one.
You might also like these Rhubarb recipes: