Le Rustique Camembert, Fig and Basil Sourdough Toastie anyone?
This scrumptious toasted Le Rustique Camembert sandwich makes a great comforting supper for two.
The dish uses mature camembert which is very creamy and soft and has a pronounced flavour.
A smoked tomato chutney also works well with this toastie if you are looking for a bit of extra flavour!
How To Make A Le Rustique Camembert, Fig and Basil Sourdough Toastie:
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 4 slices of thick sourdough bread
- 1 tbsp soft salted butter for spreading
- 4 slices of prosciutto
- 1 mature Le Rustique Camembert 250g
- 2 ripe figs, sliced
- 4 basil leaves
- 60g watercress
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp butter for frying
- Pinch of sea salt
- Cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 160°C/ 140°C Fan/Gas Mark 3.
- Butter one side of the bread, season and lay butter side up.
- Slice the Le Rustique Camembert.
- Build the toastie by layering on the prosciutto, half the sliced Le Rustique Camembert, fig slices, basil leaves and top with watercress.
- Season and layer on the rest of the Le Rustique Camembert (you may not want to use all the cheese – it depends how cheesy you want it!).
- Top with the other slice of bread, butter side down.
- In a shallow pan gently fry the toastie in a tbsp of oil and butter for 3-4 mins on each side until brown.
- Finish cooking in the oven at 160 for a further 5–10 mins or until the cheese has melted.
Recipes created by Alex Head at Social Pantry.
Recipe and image courtesy of LeRustique.
In 1975, cheese factory manager, Jean Verrier gave birth to the very first Le Rustique Camembert.
To this day, his artisan techniques continue to inspire the production of all Le Rustique cheeses.
Le Rustique cheeses are in constant evolution and each stage has its own taste.
The maturation process of Brie can be divided in three stages, with each stage offering different tastes and textures:
* Young: 25 days or more before the Use By Date – Texture: firm; Flavour: light and fresh
* Ripe: Between 15 and 25 days before the Use By Date – Texture: soft and melt-in-the-mouth; Flavour: distinctive
* Mature: 15 days or less before the Use By Date – Texture: creamy and soft; Flavour: pronounced