Fancy making a Rhubarb Cheese Cake?
This recipe is brought to you by La Fosse at Cranborne.
How To Make A Rhubarb Cheese Cake:
For The Dough:
- 250g flour
- 125g butter – room temperature
- 60g sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch of salt
- grated zest of one unwaxed lemon
For The Filling:
- 100g butter
- 150g sugar
- 150g sugar for the rhubarb
- 2 pureed vanilla pods, (a quality essence will suffice)
- 2 eggs
- 500g Quark, which is a German “yoghurt cheese”, similar to Fromage Blanc in France. You can find it in most good quality super markets now. If you can not find it or do not wish to use it, then cream cheese can also be used.
- 80g cornflower
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 500g rhubarb – Rhubarb needs to be cut in 2cm pieces in advance and peeled – if you have to wash it, make sure you pat dry, add 150g to rhubarb and mix, leave for 2 hrs and drain off jus, this can be reduced to make a syrup to drizzle over the finished cheesecake.
Preparation Of Dough:
- Put flour, butter, sugar, egg, salt and zest of lemon in a mixer bowl with the dough hook and mix all ingredients together into a smooth dough. Wrap in into clingfilm and keep in the fridge to rest for half an hour.
- Take a 26cm cake tin. Grease with some butter, bottom and sides.
- Roll out the dough and place in the tin. Make sure that the sides go up 3cm high.
- Blind bake for 10-15 minutes.
For The Filling:
- Mix butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs until light and fluffy. You can do this by hand with a whisk or the mixer. Carefully add quark, cornflower and baking powder and mix in the wet mixer. Lastly, fold in the rhubarb pieces.
- Put in the preheated oven at 180°C for 60 minutes. (should the top darken too much, cover with an aluminium foil top).
- Serve with a blood orange sorbet and some cooked rhubarb pieces on the side.
Recipe courtesy of Mark Hartstone, Chef Proprietor at La Fosse at Cranborne – La-fosse.