Chantenay Toad In The Hole. Toad in the hole is such a classic comfort food and today I am sharing a recipe with a vegetable twist.
Chantenay toad in the hole – As Halloween is around the corner, serve with lashings of ghoulish gravy and this terrifyingly tasty dish will have your ghostly guests coming back again and again.
How To Make Chantenay Toad In The Hole:
Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus 30 minutes resting
Cooking time: 20 minutes
For The Batter:
- 125g plain flour
- 3 medium eggs
- 150ml milk
- 150ml water
- 2tsp dried herbs
- 1tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 250g Chantenay, whole & unpeeled
- 8 fat sausages
Chantenay Toad In The Hole:
What To Do:
- Make the batter by adding all the ingredients to a food processor and pulse until smooth. The batter should be the consistency of single cream. Leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- Whilst the batter is resting, preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan, gas 7.
- When the oven is hot add the oil to a large roasting tin and put it in the oven to heat for 5 minutes. It is important that the tin is large as the batter will rise better if it has plenty of room to grow.
- When the oil is really hot add the Chantenay and the sausages and roast for 10 minutes.
- Take the tin out of the oven and gently pour the batter around the Chantenay and sausages, you may find this easier if you transfer the batter to a jug that pours reliably.
- The secret to a good toad in the hole is keeping everything really hot so get the pan back into the oven as quickly as possible. After 20-25 minutes the batter should be beautifully puffed up and golden brown.
- Serve immediately with plenty of buttered cabbage.
- For an even quicker batter just buy one off the shelf and make according to pack instructions.
We use to love making toad in the holes up for dinner until my Daughter got diagnosed with coeliac disease. I must start making it again with gluten free sausages and gluten-free flour!
What do you think of this Chantenay Toad In The Hole recipe?
Fancy making one?
Recipe and image courtesy of Chantenay.
You Might Also Like: