Red Onion, Thyme And Parmigiano Reggiano Tart anyone?
How To Make A Red Onion, Thyme And Parmigiano Reggiano Tart:
(Serves 4 – 6)
- 50g Unsalted butter
- 1kg Red onions, sliced lengthways
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pack Puff pastry, ready rolled
- Oil and flour for the baking sheet
- 1 Egg, beaten with a pinch of salt
- 1.5g Fresh thyme, leaves only
- 100g Parmigiano Reggiano
Red Onion, Thyme And Parmigiano Reggiano Tart Method:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan). Melt the butter in a heavy pan and sauté the onions over a low to medium heat, stirring frequently, until completely softened. Season during and then check the seasoning at the end, as the eventual sweetness of the onions needs enough salt to balance the taste.
- Whilst the onions are cooking, prepare the pastry base. Oil an approximately 35cm x 25cm baking dish and dust with flour. Unroll the pastry and place on the baking sheet. With a sharp knife, score a 1-2 cm border around the edge of the pastry and prick within the border with a fork. Brush the border with egg. Bake at 180°C (fan) for 20 minutes. When removed it should be golden and puffed up.
- Increase the oven to 200°C (fan). Spoon the cooked red onions onto the pastry, within the border. The weight of the onions will collapse the pastry, but it will be cooked properly.
- Cover the onions with the Parmigiano Reggiano then sprinkle the thyme leaves on top. Give the border another egg wash and then return to the oven for 10 minutes. Remove when lightly browned on top.
- Best served after it’s been out of the oven for 15-30 minutes to allow to cool a little. Cut into four or six pieces and serve with a simple dressed green salad.
What do you think of this Red Onion, Thyme And Parmigiano Reggiano Tart recipe?
Do you fancy trying it?
Recipe courtesy of Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Recipe and photography credit: Tastehead and Steve Lee Photography.
You Might Also Like: