Poison Meringue Mushrooms: Halloween Trick Or Treats.
Poison meringue mushrooms anyone?
Poison Meringue Mushrooms: Halloween Trick Or Treats
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour + cooling
3 Waitrose British Blacktail Large Free Range Egg whites (roughly 125g)
250g caster sugar
Pinch of cream of tartar
Pinch of salt
1 tsp liquid red food colouring (not gel)
50g dark chocolate
1 tsp cocoa, plus extra for dusting
Poison Meringue Mushrooms: Halloween Trick Or Treats Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 110°C, gas mark ¼ and line 2 solid baking sheets with baking parchment. Fit a large piping bag with a 1.5cm plain nozzle.
2. Place the egg whites into a medium heatproof glass or ceramic bowl, add the sugar, cream of tartar and a pinch of salt. Set the bowl over a pan of simmering water, not touching the surface. Whisk for at least 5 minutes or until the sugar has completely dissolved, the mixture is white and warm to the touch. Remove from the heat and continue whisking for 3 minutes or until thick, glossy and white and will stand in stiff peaks.
3. Spoon just over half the meringue into the piping bag and pipe about 25-30 domes in assorted sizes onto the parchment, to make the mushroom caps. Flatten the pointed peaks with a wet fingertip. Dip a clean dry pastry brush into the red food colouring and use a finger to flick it over half of the mushrooms.
4. Scoop the remaining meringue into the piping bag and on another baking sheet pipe 25-30 upright cone shapes in assorted sizes – these will be the stalks of the mushrooms. Bake the caps and stalks for 1 hour, swapping the trays around halfway through. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
5. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water or in the microwave. Stir until smooth and remove from the heat. Using a wooden skewer, make a 3mm hole in the middle of the underside of each mushroom cap. Dip the flat underside of each one in melted chocolate and place back on the parchment.
6. Place 1 mushroom cap on top of each stalk – you may need to carefully knock the spikey top off the stalks first – positioning the top of the stalk into the hole in the underside of the caps. Dust the top of the plain mushrooms lightly with cocoa. Sprinkle a tray or serving platter with more cocoa and arrange the mushrooms on top to serve.
What do you think of these Poison Meringue Mushrooms: Halloween Trick Or Treats?
Strictly Necessary Cookies
Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings.
If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again.