Squidgy Carrot And Courgette Cake. Hello friends, fancy making a Squidgy Carrot And Courgette Cake?
Moist and delicious – this easy-to-make organic carrot and courgette cake will be a hit with your family and friends!
How To Make A Squidgy Carrot And Courgette Cake:
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 40-45 minutes
You Will Need:
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
3 large eggs, beaten
340g plain flour
Pinch of salt
1 rounded tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 rounded tsp baking powder
1 rounded tsp ground ginger
225g light muscovado or soft brown sugar
200g British organic carrots, peeled and grated
150g courgettes, grated
200g low fat soft cheese
1/2tsp vanilla extract
1 small organic carrot, grated
1tbsp light muscovado or soft brown sugar
Squidgy Carrot And Courgette Cake Method:
1. Preheat the oven to fan 180°C, fan oven 160°, Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 23cm square cake tins with baking paper, using a little butter.
2. Melt the remaining butter in a large saucepan over a low heat, without letting it get too hot. Remove from the heat, then add the orange juice and beaten eggs. Reserve the orange zest for the frosting.
3. Sift together the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and ground ginger in a mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar, organic carrots and courgettes, then add the melted mixture and stir together well.
4. Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a fine skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 20 minutes, then turn out carefully. Cool completely on a wire rack.
5. Make the frosting by beating the low fat soft cheese, vanilla extract and reserved orange zest together. Spread on top of the cooled cake. Put the grated organic carrot into a frying pan with the sugar and heat gently to melt and caramelise. Cool, then scatter over the cake.
Cook’s tip: Keep the cake refrigerated, though serve at room temperature. You can freeze the cake for up to 2 months without the frosting.
What do you think of this Squidgy Carrot And Courgette Cake?
Do you fancy making some?
Recipe and image courtesy of British Organic Carrots.
The British Organic Carrot season runs from October to May.
You Might Also Like:
Glazed Carrot, Feta And Red Onion Tart.
How To Make Carrot Cake Pancakes.
Indian-Inspired Organic Carrot Salad.
Some More Posts That Might Be Of Interest: