Braised Red Cabbage with Blackberries.
Perfect with roast turkey on Christmas Day.
Blackberries make a great British alternative for this colourful side dish.
How To Make Braised Red Cabbage With Blackberries:
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
You Will Need:
25 g (1 oz) butter
1 onion, finely chopped
500 g (1 lb 2 oz) red cabbage, quartered, woody core cut away, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons light muscovado sugar
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
150 ml (¼ pint) apple juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
225 g (8 oz) blackberries
1.) Heat the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and fry for 3-4 minutes, stirring until softened.
2.) Stir in the red cabbage then the sugar, vinegar, spice and apple juice.
3.) Season well with salt and pepper.
4.) Cover and cook gently on the hob for 20-30 minutes, stirring from time to time until the red cabbage is tender.
5.) Add the blackberries and cook gently for 10 minutes.
6.) Spoon into a serving dish, serve with roast turkey, chicken or casseroled lamb or beef.
This can be made earlier in the day and reheated in the pan or heated in the microwave.
What do you think of this Braised Red Cabbage With Blackberries recipe?
Do you fancy trying it?
Recipe and photo credit by- Seasonal Berries
You Might Also Like:
How To Cook Slow Cooked Red Cabbage Pulled Pork:
How about trying this tasty slow cooked red cabbage, pulled pork recipe?
Once you have made the marinate up you can rest it for 30 minutes or overnight in the fridge.
Thin simply blitz all the other ingredients up in a food processor, pour over the pork and slow cook for over 5 hours, tasty.
Arden’s Seagreens® & Spelt Oaty Thins / Cracked Black Pepper & Spelt Oaty Thins topped with red cabbage sauerkraut:
With its distinctive sour flavour, this recipe is particularly delicious spread on Arden’s Seagreens® & Spelt Oaty Thins / Cracked Black Pepper & Spelt Oaty Thins. Known for its beneficial properties in gut health, this sauerkraut is quick and simple to make with just four ingredients.
- Green Floral Maxi Dress And A Visit To The Beach
- Zip Up Adidas Jacket, Skinny Jeans And Black Boots
- Spending Summer Days In Bakewell
- How To Style A Retro Rainbow Print D Buckle Belt
- Still Wearing My Teddy Coat From Winter: Fashion Over 40
- Spring Has Sprung But The Jumpers Are Back Out!!
- Gold Colour Cream Pearl Hair Clips: New In Today
- A Day Out In York: Way Back Wednesday Style Post
- Rose Gold Colour Crystal And Peach Flower Stud Earrings
- What If We Rewrite The Stars? 0ver 40 Fitness
- Getting My Summer Wardrobe Ready: Over 40 Style
- Ne’er Cast A Clout ‘Til May Be Out! Over 40 Style
- The Hardest Part Of Having A Dog Is Knowing
- Stacking Gold Colour Crystal Initial Bangle UK Buy
- How Do You Like Your Eggs? Hotel Chocolat Review