A squidgy chocolate log with cream, fruit and more chocolate, make this a really special festive dessert.
It looks impressive and tastes even better!
A dessert that will put a smile on the face of adults and children alike.
The perfect pud to serve after dinner during the festive period.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 150g Whitworths for Baking Caster Sugar
- 6 large free range eggs, separated
- 250g dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
- Whitworths for Baking Superfine Icing Sugar, for dusting
- 400ml double cream, lightly whipped
- 150g raspberries, or canned cherries
Chocolate butter cream:
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 450g Whitworths for Baking Super Fine Icing Sugar
- 50g cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tbsp milk
- Heat oven to 180C.
- Line a 23 x 33cm Swiss roll tin with baking paper.
- Whisk the Whitworths for Baking Caster Sugar and egg yolks in a bowl until light and thick.
- Melt the chocolate, allow to cool slightly and stir in the sugar mixture.
- Whisk egg whites to stiff peaks in a large, clean bowl.
- Gently fold into the chocolate mixture using a large metal spoon.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 12-14 mins until risen and springs back to the touch.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes.
- Lay a sheet of baking parchment on a board.
- With one bold movement, turn the cake onto the paper, then lift off the tin.
- Carefully peel away the baking paper and leave to cool completely.
- Spread the whipped cream all over the cake and evenly spread out the fruit.
- With the long side opposite you, use the paper to roll up the cake.
- The cake may crack as you roll it, but don’t worry!
- Cut approximately 1/3 rd of the cake, cut a thin slice off the smaller piece on the diagonal.
- Transfer to a serving plate, placing the smaller piece on the side of the cake with the diagonal edge resting against the larger piece.
- For the butter cream, beat the butter, then sift in the Whitworths for Baking Super Fine Icing Sugar and cocoa. Beat well, adding enough milk to create a smooth light butter cream.
- Spread the butter cream over cake covering all the sponge.
- Use a fork to create a log effect.
- Decorate with a dusting of Whitworths for Baking Super Fine Icing Sugar and serve.
- Decorate with fresh holly leaves, meringue mushrooms and chocolate bark to create a forest floor effect.
Chocolate Bark :
- Simply melt chocolate, pour into a baking tray lined with baking paper, sprinkle with a little rock salt and finely chopped pistachio nuts.
- Leave at room temperature to set for 1-2 hours and break into pieces.
Recipe and photo credit by- Whitworths for Baking