Celiac Awareness Day #celiacawarenessday one year on. Today is Celiac Awareness Day or in the UK better known as Coeliac Disease.
It was over a year ago we found out my Daughter had it. A day we will always remember and changed my Daughters life from that very phone call from the Doctor at the hospital. Finding Out My Daughter Has Coeliac Disease. Funny thing is they were not testing her for Coeliac Disease. They were testing her for a patch of white skin that looked like an unhealed fall. (Also never properly looked into).
Celiac Awareness Day.
After six months of test. On Gluten. Off Gluten. On gluten. Also a biopsy early this year she found out for sure that she had to lead a gluten-free lifestyle.
It has not been an easy year and just as you think things are OK and you can handle it. Other things happen.
The skin on her hands now are starting to peel and I am not sure if this is the big dose of vitamin D the doctors gave her as she was seriously lacking in it or the gluten in the shampoo and hand washes.
Her head hurts from little bumps, her body itches and hands ache.
Yesterday we went shopping to find gluten-free, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and hand wash. Things you never think about having to replace at first.
Hopefully, this will make life easier for her.
Summer holidays were the hardest. Gluten-free dining is not only harder to find, it can sometimes work out expensive.
Celiac Awareness Day: What We Found Out This Summer:
Butlins Cater For Gluten-Free Diets:
We a great week in Butlin at Skegness in the Summer. The weather beautiful and eating out gluten-free in their dining rooms was a breeze.
We weren’t going to go to Butlins this year as my Daughter has coeliac but the chefs here have been amazing all week. We even got to know one by name. “Just ask for Karl”.
The first day we tried to guess which were gluten-free foods as we did not know what to do.
Then the next morning we saw a chef bring out a girl some gluten-free cereal. That is all i needed to know and asked if i could speak to the chef.
Every meal time the chef in charge came out and guided us through all the foods in the self-service foods which were gluten-free.
Anything that wasn’t gluten free like sausages, hash browns and cereal at breakfast and cakes at dinner, they kindly brought us out the back. Nothing was to much trouble.
This made mealtimes perfect for my Daughter.
Weatherspoons Gluten Free Menu:
We found that gluten-free eating out at Wethersppons is just the same price as eating gluten. Which is really good when you have a big family. They have a wide selection of meals that are gluten-free and my Daughter loved having her own gluten-free menu to pick from.
Boots Meal Deal:
We found that if you are just out shopping and you want a meal deal, Boots gluten-free is the best one ever!!
Most places that do meal deals we found do not do a gluten-free meal deal making you buy a sandwich, drink and snack separately. Working out £5-6.
Boots Meal Deal is amazing. Gluten-free sandwich, drink and snack for £3.39 My Daughter loves this one and we have this as a treat when I take her to Nottingham for the day.
Pizza Hut Gluten Free:
When we fancy a treat a home. My Daughter picks the Gluten free pizza from Pizza Hut. They are smaller than the usual pizzas we have but we usually get them on takeaway offers so work out cheaper. She loves these and says they are really yummy. Not that she has offered me a bit!! 😉
She mention last week, the only thing she misses is Chinese food. So I am now on the hunt for g/f noodles!!
- Almond Satay Dip And How To Make Some
- Gluten Free Pistachio and Almond Oaty Cookies
- California Walnut And Lemon Parsley Spaghetti
- Super Green Pumpkin Pesto: Gluten & Dairy Free
- Toasted California Walnut, Lentil And Coconut Rice
- Slow-roast Lamb With Garlic, Honey And Cumin
- 5 Important Tips For Anyone Living With Coeliac Disease
- Celery And Apple Matchstick Salad: Celery Salad Recipe
- Carrot Cake with Watercress & Cream Cheese Frosting
- Tropical Mango, California Walnut and Turmeric
- How To Make Gluten And Dairy Free Bread
- Vegan Apple Slices With Peanut Butter, Celery
- Celiac Awareness Day: #CeliacAwarenessDay
- British Summer Salad With Honey-Mustard
- How To Make A Rhubarb And Orange Polenta
- Slow-roast Pork With Cauliflower Cheese
- Gluten-free Mini Elderflower And Lemon Loaf Cakes
- Gluten Free Cranberry And Oats Flapjack Bars And An Easy Peasy Cupcake Selection
- How To Make Gluten And Dairy Free Hot Cross Buns
- The Paleo Foods Co. Spiced Almond Milk Hot Chocolate
- Quorn Fillets Durban Curry: Meat Free Meals
- Gluten Free Pancakes A GF Breakfast Treat
- Free-From American Style Pancakes Tasty Breakfast
- Free-From Blueberry And Buckwheat Pancakes
- Get Spooky With Genius: Ghoulish Halloween Goodies
- Weekly Meal Planning: Creating A Easier Routine
- New Fruit Shoot Fruit Bars That Are Also Gluten-Free
- Gluten-Free Black Forest Gâteau Cake Pops