Davidstow® 12 Month Mature cheddar Scotch “Egg”.
The sun has been shining brightly over the last few days and although still cold it has me dreaming of Summer.
Today I am sharing these Davidstow® 12 Month Mature cheddar Scotch “Egg” perfect for Summer parties and bbq.
Also great for Sunday night tea with the family whilst the weather is still cold!!
A picnic isn’t complete without a Scotch Egg, but if you’re looking for something with an edge on the classic recipe then why not try my recipe which combines good quality sausage meat with a pearl barley and Davidstow® 12 Month Mature cheddar centre.
How To Make Davidstow® 12 Month Mature cheddar Scotch “Egg:
Pearl Barley Centres:
- 80g pearl barley
- 1 white of a leek, sliced thinly
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 pinch curry powder
- 200g cooked pearl barley from above recipe
- 30g Davidstow® 12 Month Mature cheddar, finely grated
- 30g chopped chives
- 20g chopped dill
- 500g sausage meat
- 20g chopped thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 2 whole eggs mixed well with a whisk
- 100g plain flour
- 150g panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat a deep fat fryer to 160°c Pearl barley centres.
- Wash and cook the pearl barley in 1 ½ litres of water until soft and sticky. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Set aside 200g of this cooked pearl barley to use later.
- Sweat the sliced leek with garlic and curry powder until tender. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Mix the, set aside, 200g pearl barley and the leeks into a bowl.
- Add the Davidstow® 12 Month Mature cheddar, chives and dill.
- Season to taste using salt and pepper.
- Mix well and weigh out into 30g individual balls. Place these into the freezer to firm up well.
- Mix the sausage meat with the thyme and seasoning.
- Assembly of the Scotch “Egg” Please note: Each ball requires approximately 60g sausage meat and 30g frozen barley balls
- Wrap by spreading cling film out on your kitchen surface, then press the sausage meat out flat on top of the cling film, add the frozen barley ball into the centre of the meat and carefully wrap the sausage meat around the barley mix until coated evenly.
- Now coat these balls in the flour, shaking off any excess. Dip these into the egg mixture, removing carefully with a fork shaking off any of the excess egg mixture. Now roll these in the panko breadcrumbs, ensuring they are coated well.
- Fry these in the deep fat fryer for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Drain well onto kitchen paper and finish with a sprinkle of fine salt. Enjoy!
Recipe and images courtesy of:
Created by Lee Westcott for Davidstow®
Lee says “The perfect snack to pack on a road trip down the Cornish coast!
You Might Also Like:
Some More Posts That Might Be Of Interest:
- 20 Valentine Recipes To Try Out This Valentine’s Day
- BerryWorld Strawberry and Almond Macarons: How To
- Tiger Prawn, Avocado And Harissa Mayo Tacos
- Marshmallow Crispy Cupcakes: Great For Parties
- Turkey and Mozzarella Christmas Sandwich Loaf
- How To Make A Black Forest Gateau Roulade
- 4 Christmas Biscuit Recipes For You To Try Out Today
- What To Make On Chocolate Covered Anything Day?
- 10 Drinks Ideas To Try Out This Christmas 2020
- Walnut And Cranberry Pie: Christmas Cracked!!