Diamond Jubilee Royal Shortbread Biscuits…
Celebrate the Jubilee festivities by making a batch of these buttery shortbread biscuits – they’ll be your crowning glory!
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes, plus cooling
Makes: about 16
- 100g (4oz) Kerrygold butter
- 50g (2oz) caster sugar
- 150g (6oz) plain flour
- ¼ tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 egg yolk
- Red, white and blue writing icing
- Silver balls and gold stars or small sweets
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter with a wooden spoon until smooth and creamy.
- Add the sugar and beat for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Sift in the flour and mixed spice, stirring to combine.
- Add the egg yolk and bring the mixture together with your hands, kneading lightly until smooth.
- Wrap and chill for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4.
- Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment or greaseproof paper.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Use crown-shaped cutters to stamp into biscuits (or use a plain or fluted cutter).
- Carefully lift onto the baking sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until light golden.
- Cool for a few minutes on the trays, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Decorate the biscuits with red, white and blue writing icing, then finish them off with silver balls and gold stars or small sweets.
Approximate cost of total ingredients: £1.90
Calories per biscuit 145 / Fat per biscuit 5.5g
Top tip :
- Why not try cooking this recipe with Kerrygold Lighter Unsalted butter and save 1.2g fat/10 calories per biscuit.
Recipe and photo credits –
This recipe was made using Kerrygold block butter