Recipe and image courtesy of Belvoir Fruit Farms.
Elderflower, Lemon And Poppy Seed Layered Cake. Hello friends, so how are you today?
This cake is so pretty it could be used for those most bona fide reasons to celebrate – a birthday or even a wedding.
Elderflower, Lemon And Poppy Seed Layered Cake:
To make the celebration complete, try adding a dash of Belvoir Elderflower Cordial to a glass of fizz or just enjoy a refreshing glass of lightly sparkling Belvoir Elderflower Pressé.
Serves about 40
For The Cake:
10 medium free-range eggs
600g unsalted butter softened
finely grated zest 3 lemons
600g caster sugar
50g poppy seeds
600g self-raising flour
3 tbsp Belvoir Elderflower Cordial
For The Icing:
500g unsalted butter softened
1kg icing sugar sifted
3tbsp Belvoir Elderflower Cordial
1 tbsp hot water (I use just boiled water from the kettle)
a handful of rose petals
1 egg white, lightly beaten
4 dowel rods
1 x 16cm thin cake board
Elderflower, Lemon And Poppy Seed Layered Cake Method:
1. Firstly, preheat the oven to 180c/Fan 160c/ Gas Mark 4.
2. Grease and line 1 x 16cm deep cake tin and 1x 23cm deep cake tin.
3. Weigh the eggs in their shells then measure out the same weight of butter, caster sugar and self-raising flour (roughly 600g of each ingredient)
4. Beat the butter and sugar together in a stand mixer or with a hand whisk until really light and fluffy. Beat the eggs in a jug, and gradually add them to the butter, as you whisk, adding a spoonful of flour to stop it curdling.
5. Add the rest of the flour then stir in the lemon zest, poppy seeds and cordial.
6. Spoon 1/3 of the cake mixture into the smaller tin then spoon the remaining 2/3 into the large tin. Smooth out and bake in the middle of the oven for 60-85 minutes (the small cake will be ready after about 1 hour) until risen and golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Leave To Cool:
7. Leave to cool in the tins for 10 mins then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
9. To crystallise the rose petals, brush each petal with beaten egg white and pop into a bowl of caster sugar, turning until coated. Shake off any excess and leave to dry on a wire rack. The crystallised petals will keep for 24 hours in a dry cool place, they can be left on the decorated cake for up to 8 hours.
10. Beat the butter until really light then gradually add the icing sugar until you have a stiff butter icing. Add the cordial and 2-3 tbsp of boiling water and beat until light, fluffy and smooth.
11. Use a serrated knife to split each cake in half horizontally. Spread a 1cm thick layer of buttercream inside the cakes and sandwich them back together.
Elderflower, Lemon And Poppy Seed Layered Cake: Getting The Cake Ready:
12. Place the large cake on a cake stand and use a palette knife to spread an even 1cm thick layer of icing over the sides and top of the cake, smoothing it as you go.
13. Place the smaller cake on the thin cake board and cover the top and sides with buttercream in the same way.
14. Push the 4 dowel rods into the cake, in a square in the middle. Mark on them the top of the cake line with a pencil. Remove the rods and cut to length then push back into the cake. Sit the little cake on top of the big cake, with a little blob of icing to secure it.
15. With a palette knife use a little more icing to smooth over the seam between the two cakes. The cake is now ready and can be stored in a cool place (but not the fridge) for 24 hours. When ready to serve, scatter over the crystallised rose petals.
Elderflower, Lemon And Poppy Seed Layered Cake. Recipe and image courtesy of Belvoir Fruit Farms. Celebrate the Elderflower Season with Belvoir and Lisa Faulkner.
So what do you think about this recipe? Do you also fancy making this beautiful cake anyone?
You Might Also Like These Recipes By Lisa Faulkner:
Firstly, Gluten Free Semolina And Raspberry Layer Cake With Raspberry And Lemon Syrup:
Spring is just around the corner and today I am sharing this Gluten Free Semolina and Raspberry Layer Cake with Raspberry and Lemon Syrup recipe with you.
A perfect Mothers Day, Spring or Easter cake by Lisa Faulkner for Belvoir Fruit Farms. Gluten Free Semolina And Raspberry Layer Cake With Raspberry And Lemon Syrup.
How To Make Madeleine Hot Air Balloons:
Madeleine Hot Air Balloons, how sweet!?
To celebrate the launch this summer of their very own hot air balloon, Belvoir asked Lisa Faulkner to make these rather fetching balloons influenced Madeleines.
Delicious with a silky-smooth flavour, the pleasure is intensified by a glass of fragrant Belvoir Elderflower & Rose Cordial. How To Make Madeleine Hot Air Balloons.
Secondly, Lisa Faulkner’s Chilean Blueberry Pancakes for Shrove Tuesday:
Celebrate Pancake Day on Tuesday 21 February with Lisa Faulkner’s recipe for homemade pancakes with a healthy twist.
“We forget how easy it is to make pancakes from ingredients we all have the cupboard. Lisa Faulkner’s Chilean Blueberry Pancakes for Shrove Tuesday.
Thirdly, Lisa Faulkner’s Bran And Blueberry Muffins:
Fancy trying some of Lisa Faulkner’s Bran And Blueberry Muffins? Lisa Faulkner’s Bran And Blueberry Muffins.
Fourthly, How To Make Lisa Faulkner‘s Bakewell Mug Cakes:
From late May, the gentle hum of bees can be heard in the English hedgerows as they burst into flower with the frothy, lace-like blossoms of the elderflower offering a beautifully fragrant, pollen laden sanctuary for the humble bumble! How To Make Lisa Faulkner’s Bakewell Mug Cakes.
Fifthly, Cooking With Belvoir And Lisa Faulkner:
Last week my daughter and I got invited down to London to do some baking with Belvoir and Lisa Faulkner. Cooking With Belvoir And Lisa Faulkner. So cool.
Last But Not Least, My Sunday Photo: Meeting Lisa Faulkner:
Happy Sunday, how has the school holidays been for you? Busy here, have you been busy too?
It has been a great week with the children off school. Out and about all week, no time at all for stopping in and doing boring housework 😃. My Sunday Photo: Meeting Lisa Faulkner. So much fun.
What I Wore: Day Out In London: Meeting Lisa Faulkner:
So what a difference a week makes!!
Last week it was red hot and felt like the middle of summer. This week it has been so cold, windy and raining. It feels like Winter again!! I mean come on weather, get yourself together; What I Wore: Day Out In London: Meeting Lisa Faulkner.
Elderflower, Lemon And Poppy Seed Layered Cake.
Thanks so much for stopping by.
I also hope you like this post? Also hit the tags for more tasty recipes.
If so, why not follow along so you never miss a post? So remember you can also share your thoughts here too in the comments below.