Fairtrade Coffee Shot Cup Cakes: How Sweet!?
Bake Off winner 2013 Frances Quinn shares her Fairtrade Coffee Shot ‘Cup’ Cakes.
Baked and served in take-away coffee cups, they will bring out your inner barista.
How To Make Fairtrade Coffee Shot ‘Cup’ Cakes:
Makes 12 small Cakes
For The Cakes:
3 tbsp Fairtrade instant coffee
3 tbsp freshly boiled hot water
3 tbsp whole milk
150g butter, softened
150g light muscovado sugar
3 eggs (at room temperature)
150g self-raising flour
150g walnuts, toasted and chopped
For The Coffee Syrup:
½ tbsp instant coffee
50ml boiling water
50g caster sugar
½ tbsp coffee liqueur, such as Tia Maria, optional
For The Topping:
Few drops of vanilla extract
50g icing sugar
Dash of milk or cream, if needed
12-hole muffin tin
12 espresso-sized (115ml/4oz) paper cups – ideally kraft ripple, as the outer rippled layer will conceal any butteriness that can soak through from the cake through the inner cardboard.
Coffee-bean stencil or other stencils, optional.
How To Make:
1.) Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Line the muffin tin with the cups.
2.) Mix the coffee with the hot water, then stir in the milk. Set aside to cool.
Using a hand-held electric whisk, or in a free-standing mixer, beat the butter and sugar together for 5–10 minutes or until very light and creamy.
The mixture will turn from a rich toffee brown to a pale café-au-lait shade.
Break the eggs into a mug or jug and beat with a fork.
Gradually add the eggs to the creamed butter and sugar mixture, beating well after each addition.
Should the mixture look like it’s curdling, add a spoonful of the flour. Sift in the flour and fold in until just combined.
Finally, stir through the coffee and chopped walnuts.
3.) Spoon the mixture into the paper cups and bake for 15–20 minutes or until the cakes have risen and a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean.
4.) While the cakes are baking, make the syrup.
Put the coffee in a small pan, add the boiling water and stir to dissolve the granules.
Stir in the sugar.
Set the pan over a medium heat and bring to the boil.
5.) Reduce the heat and simmer gently for a few minutes or until the sugar is completely dissolved and you are left with a runny syrup.
Remove from the heat and stir in the liqueur, if using.
6.) Once the cakes are baked, remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes.
During this time, prick them all over with a cocktail stick and brush over the coffee syrup using a paintbrush or pastry brush, allowing the syrup to soak into the sponge.
Use about ½ tablespoon syrup per cup. Remove the cakes from the tin, still in their cups, and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
7.) Put the mascarpone and vanilla in a bowl and sift in the icing sugar.
Beat together until creamy and well combined, adding a dash of milk or cream to slacken the mix slightly, if necessary.
Spoon some on to each cake and spread level with a palette knife.
Sift the cocoa on top, either all over or through a coffee-bean stencil to create some barista art.
Fairtrade Coffee Shot Cup Cakes: How Sweet!?
*Recipe and photography by Fairtrade*
Recipe created by Frances Quinn. Photography © Georgia Glynn Smith.
*No Payment was received*
Some More Coffee Ideas:
- Blueberry Muffins | The Best Muffins I Have
- 5 Heavenly Cupcake Recipes for Ultimate Dessert
- 10 Fun Afternoon Tea Cupcake Recipes
- 7 Chocolate Cupcake Recipes For Chocolate
- 9 Easy Halloween Cupcake Recipes To Bake
- Chocolate Beetroot Cupcakes & How To Make
- Vanilla Easter Cup Cakes
- BerryWorld Blueberry And Lemon Curd Muffins
- 3 Yummy Mug Cake Ideas: Homemade Cakes In Cups
- 10 Afternoon Tea Recipes For Dessert Day
- 7 Easy Halloween Cupcake Recipes To Scare
- How To Make Oaty Carrot And Oregano Muffins
- How To Make Green Thing Cupcakes
- How To Make Gingerbread Cupcakes
- BerryWorld Vegan Blackberry And Chocolate
- Fashionable Moments At SUMMIT One
- 10 Drinks Ideas To Try Out This Christmas
- Polka Dot Jumper And Metallic Pleated Skirt
- 27 Elf Movie Quotes To Brighten Your Day
- Nothing To See Here Just Me Double Dotting
- 25 Polka Dot Quotes To Add A Splash Of Joy
- The Polka Dot Lady Chronicles Begins
- 6 Trifle Recipes To Try: Modern Trifle Recipes
- 4 Christmas Biscuit Recipes For You To Try Out
- 5 Christmas Cupcake Recipes For Your Party
- 11 Mince Pie Filling, Mince Pies How To Make
- 10 Home Made Gift Ideas To Make For Someone
- 10 Tasty Homemade Bread Ideas To Bake
- 5 Holiday Salads To Try Out And Make
- 14 Curry Recipes To Warm You Up This Autumn