Today I’m sharing 2011 MasterChef winner Tim Anderson recipe for General Tso’s Southern Fried RC Cola Chicken …
Preparation: 8 hours 15 minutes
Cooking: 25 minutes
You will need:
- 8 chicken skinned thighs
- ½ can RC Cola or RC Cherry Cola
- 100ml buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. malt vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 star anise
- 1 bird’s eye chilli (or similar)
- 1 head broccoli
- 2 cm chunk fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 orange
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. toasted white sesame seeds
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. Chinese five spice powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- Vegetable oil
- 2 spring onions or a handful of chives (optional)
- Finely mince the garlic and chilli.
- Place the chicken, garlic, anise, and chilli in an airtight container or plastic bag and pour in the RC Cola, buttermilk, soy sauce, and vinegar.
- Marinate for at least 8 hours.
- Trim the broccoli into bite-size florets, peel and finely slice the ginger and roughly chop the garlic.
- Zest and juice the orange and stir together with the soy sauce.
- Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for just a minute or two until slightly tender.
- Place the flour in a tray or large bowl and mix in the garlic powder, spices and salt.
- Dredge the marinated chicken thighs in the flour; the marinade on the chicken should form a thick batter. Heat the oil to about 170ºC in a deep fryer or large saucepan.
- Fry the chicken in the oil for about 10 minutes. While the chicken is frying, stir-fry the broccoli in a little vegetable oil for 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic, ginger and orange-soy mixture.
- Allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes, until the liquid reduces to a syrup consistency.
- Then add the sesame seeds.
- When the chicken is golden brown, drain on kitchen towel.
- Garnish with finely sliced spring onions or chives and serve alongside the broccoli.
Guest Post Credits- Tim’s ‘RC Cola Sizzling Summer’ recipes – including the General Tso’s chicken