How To Make Apple of Your Eye Pie.
The definitive recipe for the perfect apple pie – just like mum used to make – with scrumptious South African Golden Delicious and Granny Smith apples for a fabulous flavour combo!
How To Make Apple of Your Eye Pie:
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking: 30 minutes
For The Pastry:
- 350g plain white flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2tbsp icing sugar
- 175g chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 2tbsp beaten egg (reserve the remainder)
- 4tbsp chilled water
For The Filling:
- 3 South African Granny Smith apples
- 2 South African Golden Delicious apples
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- 120g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
How To Make:
- Sift the flour, salt and icing sugar into a large mixing bowl. Rub in the chilled butter until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg and water to the mixture, stirring them in with a round-bladed knife. Draw the dough into a ball and knead lightly for a few moments on a lightly floured work surface. Wrap and chill for 15 minutes.
- Roll out half the dough on a lightly floured surface and use to line a metal 20cm deep pie dish. Roll out the rest to form the lid, cutting 2-3 slits in the pastry to allow steam to escape.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan oven 180°C, Gas Mark 6 and preheat a metal baking sheet. Peel, core and thinly slice the apples. Toss them in the lemon juice, then layer them into the pie dish, sprinkling them with the caster sugar as you go. Make sure that the top layer is apple, not sugar – or this could make the pastry lid soggy.
- Dampen the pastry rim with a little water, then position the lid on top. Press the edges together to seal, then use your fingertips to crimp them together. Cut out leaves from the pastry trimmings and place on the pie. Brush the pie with the reserved beaten egg.
- Transfer the pie to the oven, baking it on the preheated baking sheet. After 10 minutes reduce the temperature to 180°C, Fan Oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4 and bake for a further 20 minutes. Serve, sprinkled with caster sugar.
How To Make Apple of Your Eye Pie. Recipe and image courtesy of Beautiful Country Beautiful Fruit
What do you think?
Fancy trying this Apple Pie recipe?
You Might Also Like:
How To Make Apple Pie Jam.
Apple Pie Porridge.
Spiced Apple and Ginger Pie.