Recipe courtesy of UK Shallot.
How To Make Caramelised Shallot Soda Bread with Herby Butter.
National Picnic Week takes place 15-24th June 2018 across the UK so I thought it would be perfect timing to share this Caramelised Shallot Soda Bread with Herby Butter recipe.
This easy soda bread with caramelised shallots is a delicious accompaniment with cheese or to dip into soup with a slab of herby butter on top!
How To Make Caramelised Shallot Soda Bread with Herby Butter:
Makes: 1 large loaf
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
For The Bread:
6 shallots, finely sliced
1tbsp brown sugar
1tbsp balsamic vinegar
500g plain white flour
½ tsp salt
2tsp baking powder
60g cheddar cheese, grated
For The Butter:
230g butter, at room temperature
Small bunch thyme, leaves picked
Small bunch parsley, finely chopped
What To Do:
1.) Heat the oven to 200C/180C Fan. Melt the butter in a frying pan and gently cook the shallots, with the lid on for 10 minutes. Add the sugar and vinegar and turn up the heat. Cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes so that the shallots caramelised. Set aside to cool.
2.) In a large bowl combine the flour, salt and baking powder then stir in 50g of the cheese and the shallots.
3.) Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the buttermilk. Splay your fingers out like a big fork and mix gently but quickly to combine to a dough. To get the lightest bread, minimise the amount you handle the dough.
4.) Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and pat into a circle. Transfer to a non-stick baking sheet and pat down a little. Scatter with the remaining cheese and cut a large cross, deep into the dough and bake for 40-45 mins until the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
5.) While the bread is baking, beat the butter in a bowl until soft then beat in the herbs. Lay out a sheet of clingfilm on the surface and spoon the butter into a line near the bottom of the cling film, fold the cling film over the butter and shape it into a sausage. Roll the butter up in the cling film and twist the ends to make it tight. Pop it the fridge and when you’re ready to serve the bread, cut disks of butter to spread on the warm slices.
Note: Soda bread is a dense bread, this one is perfect for serving with cheese or dipping in soup. If you don’t finish the butter, slice into disks and keep it in the freezer, use it on pasta, fish, baked potatoes etc.
Recipe courtesy of UK Shallot.
What do you think of this Caramelised Shallot Soda Bread with Herby Butter recipe?
Fancy making some?
You might also like:
Or these other tasty recipes:
- Indian Turkey Curry With Shallots: Fiery Curry Recipe
- Fruit And Nut Stuffing Bake And How To Make Some
- Cranberry Glazed Christmas Ham: A Classic Recipe
- California Walnut And Lemon Parsley Spaghetti
- Asparagus, Tuna And Bean Salad With Shallot: How To
- Radish And Celery Potato Salad: Healthy Lunch Ideas
- Chantenay Toad In The Hole: Classic Comfort Food
- 3 Heart Healthy Recipes From California Walnuts
- Roasted Beetroot Soup With Feta Yogurt Dressing- Recipe
- 14 Sweet And Savoury Pie Recipes For #NationalPieDay
- Have An “Ham-azing” New Year With Parma Ham
- Watercress Sorbet: Give Yourself a Peppery Health
- Pan-fried Salmon With Watercress Sauce
- Szechuan Pork, Watercress And Broccoli Stir Fry
- Spiced Gammon With Citrus Cavolo Nero Sauce