Recipe and image credits: Delamere Dairy’s Spreadable Goats’ Butter
How To Make A Simnel Cake For Easter. Hello friends. So do you like to make a fruitcake up for Easter? As today I am sharing how to make a Simnel cake with you:
How To Make A Simnel Cake For Easter:
Packed with fruit, spices and marzipan, use Delamere Dairy’s spreadable goats’ butter to create your own version of this classic Easter cake.
For The Almond Paste:
250g/9oz caster sugar
250g/9oz ground almonds
2 free-range eggs, beaten
1 tsp almond essence
For The Cake:
175g/6oz Delamere Dairy spreadable goats’ butter
175g/6oz soft brown sugar
3 free-range eggs, beaten
175g/6oz plain flour
½ tsp ground mixed spice (optional)
350g/12oz mixed raisins, currants and sultanas
55g/2oz chopped mixed peel
½ lemon, grated zest only
1-2 tbsp apricot jam
1 free-range egg, beaten for glazing
How To Make A Simnel Cake For Easter
1. Firstly, for the almond paste, place the sugar and ground almonds in a bowl. Add enough beaten egg and mix to a fairly soft consistency.
2. Add the almond essence and knead for one minute until the paste is smooth and pliable.
3. Roll out a third of the almond paste to make a circle 18cm/7in in diameter and reserve the remainder for the cake topping.
4. Preheat oven to 140C/275F/Gas 1. Grease and line a 18cm/7in cake tin.
For The Cake:
5. For the cake, cream the spreadable butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs until well incorporated and then sift in the flour, salt and mixed spice (if using) a little at a time. Finally, add the mixed dried fruit, peel and grated lemon zest and stir into the mixture.
6. Put half the mixture into a greased and lined 18cm/7in cake tin. Smooth the top and cover with the circle of almond paste. Add the rest of the cake mixture and smooth the top leaving a slight dip in the centre to allow for the cake to rise. Bake in the preheated oven for 1¾ hours. Test by inserting a skewer in the middle – if it comes out clean, it is ready. Once baked, remove from the oven and set aside to cool on a wire rack.
7. Brush the top of the cooled cake with the apricot jam. Divide the remainder of the almond paste in half; roll out a circle to cover the top of the cake with one-half and form 11 small balls with the other half.
8. Place the circle of paste on the jam glaze and set the balls round the edge. Brush the cake topping with a little-beaten egg.
9. Preheat the grill to high. Place the cake onto a baking tray and grill for 1-2 minutes, or until the top of the marzipan begins to brown. Alternatively, lightly heat the cake topping using a cook’s blow torch, until the marzipan is golden-brown.
So what do you think of this How To Make A Simnel Cake For Easter, recipe? Do you also fancy trying it? Because I do!
Recipe and image credits: Delamere Dairy’s Spreadable Goats’ Butter.
You Might Also Like:
Firstly, How To Make Delamere Easter Chocolate Nests. My children love making chocolate covered crispy cake and so today I am sharing a Delamere Easter Chocolate Nests recipe with you. So creative too.
Have you every made chocolate crispy cakes with Shredded Wheat? They also make the perfect nest’s style buns. How To Make Delamere Easter Chocolate Nests.
Secondly, How To Make Delamere Spiced Easter Biscuits. We love making and baking yummy biscuits and cookies here. Last week we make a cookie jar full of decorated biscuits.
My Daughter really enjoyed making them and keeps asking “when can we make some more!?” She enjoyed decorating the biscuits the most. How much fun are these Easter biscuits? How To Make Delamere Spiced Easter Biscuits. So yummy!
You Might Also like These Latest Posts:
- 4 Coleslaw Recipes For Your Summer BBQ Party
- What I Wore Wednesday: This Week’s Link Up
- 5 Fun Drink Recipes To Try Out: Great For BBQ’S
- 1907 Link Up Your Favourite Posts This Week
- Snoobear: The Bears Of Sheffield & A Link Up
- 1207 Link Up Your Favourite Posts This Week
- 7 Recipe For Your Summer Picnics & Garden Party’s
- A Walk Up Mam Tor From Castleton In The Peak District
- Wonder Woman Was My Superhero: Who Was Yours?
- What I’m Wearing Wednesday: Wayback Wednesday Post
- 0507 Link Up Your Favourite Posts This Week
- A Few Of My Favourite Things: Weekend Link-Up
- 10 Yummy Cakes To Try Out And Impress Your Friends
- Nottingham Castle And The Robin Hood Statue
- 10 Tips To Create A Beautiful Tablescape For All Occasions
I also hope you like this post?
If so, why not follow along so you never miss a post? So remember you can also share your thoughts here too in the comments below.