Recipe and image courtesy of Dr Joan Ransley for Love Your Gut.
How To Make Spinach and Buckwheat Pancakes.
Love Your Gut Week takes place between 4-10 September and seeks to raise awareness of the importance of good gut health.
Love Your Gut has been raising awareness of the importance of gut health for over 18 years by providing expert tips, digestive health news and recipes.
Today I am sharing one of their recipes with you:
How To Make Spinach and Buckwheat Pancakes:
Despite its name, buckwheat is not a member of the wheat family and is gluten-free. It is a good source of dietary fibre, complex carbohydrates and a range of polyphenols all of which can have a beneficial effect on the gut microflora. Spinach is a rich source of polyphenols and dietary fibre, and also adds a range of essential micronutrients to the dish. This recipe is low in FODMAPs and gluten-free.
Preparation and cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves 4 (two pancakes each)
- 75g buckwheat flour
- 1 egg
- 150 ml milk of your choice
- 50 ml cold water
- A large handful fresh spinach
- A little-grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Olive oil for frying the pancakes
For The Topping:
- 100g half fat crème fraiche
- 150g smoked salmon
- Small bunch of chives, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Blend the buckwheat flour, egg, milk, water, spinach, nutmeg and a teaspoon of olive oil together in a food processor.
- Place the batter in the fridge to settle while you prepare the topping.
- Heat a small non-stick frying pan on medium heat and brush with a little oil.
- Stir the batter and pour three dessert spoons into the frying pan. Tilt the pan and swirl around until the batter is evenly distributed. Cook for about two minutes on each side, until the pancake is set and beginning to brown.
- Cook all the pancakes and place on a baking tray in a warm oven until ready to assemble into the finished dish. Place a small sheet of greaseproof paper between each pancake to prevent them sticking to each other.
- Top each pancake with smoked salmon and a teaspoon of crème fraiche. Sprinkle with a few chopped chives and serve with a wedge of lemon
Cooks Tip: Serve the pancakes topped with grilled lean bacon and oven roasted tomatoes or roasted peppers, onions and a dollop of thick Greek yogurt.
How To Make Spinach and Buckwheat Pancakes Recipe and image courtesy of Dr Joan Ransley for Love Your Gut.
What do you think of this Spinach and Buckwheat Pancakes recipe?
Fancy making some?
Let us know if you get to try some.
You Might Also Like:
- How To Make Red Velvet Heart Beet Pancakes
- 5 Steps To A Flipping Perfect Pancake’s On Pancake Day
- 19 Pancake Recipes To Try Out On Shrove Tuesday
- Martha Collison’s Chocolate Brownie Pancakes
- How To Make Carrot Cake Pancakes
- BerryWorld Strawberry Scotch Pancakes
- White Spelt Pancakes Just In Time For Pancake Day
- How To Make The Ultimate Pancakes On Pancake Day
- Recipe For Pancake Day From Doves Farm
- Perfect Pancakes with Shaken Udder: How Fun!?