Hello friends. Fancy making an Isle Of Wight Tomato Dhal With Shallot Tadka for dinner tonight?
A taste of India.
Isle of Wight Tomato Dhal with Shallot Tadka – This simple red lentil dal recipe is comforting and easy to make. The fragrant cumin, coriander seeds and the sweetness of cinnamon will make beautiful aromas that fill the air.
How To Make A Isle Of Wight Tomato Dhal With Shallot Tadka:
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
For The Dhal:
- 500g vine tomatoes, quartered
- 1tsp sugar
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 200g red lentils, rinsed
- ½ tsp salt
For The Shallot Tadka:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds and ½ tsp chilli flakes pounded together in a pestle and mortar
- 2 echallion shallots, sliced
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to 190 C
- Spread the quartered tomatoes on a baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar, salt and pepper. Drizzle with 1tbsp olive oil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Let the tomatoes cool a little and then tip them into a deep bowl and roughly blend with a stick blender.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and spices and stir well for a couple of minutes then add the tomato mixture. Bring to a simmer, then cook, for 10 minutes before adding the lentils and salt. Pour in 800ml water, then bring the mixture back to a simmer for 20 minutes or so. The lentils should be cooked and the dhal thickened by now. It will thicken further if you leave it to stand for a few minutes. Adjust the seasoning
- Meanwhile, to make the tadka, heat the oil in a frying pan, add the spices and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring now and then, until the mixture smells toasty. Add the shallots and cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes or until they are soft and lightly browned. Season with a little salt.
- Pour the dhal into a serving dish, top with the onion tadka and serve.
Recipe courtesy of UK Shallot.
What do you think of this Isle Of Wight Tomato Dhal With Shallot Tadka recipe?
Fancy making some?
You might also like this post:
Some More Posts That Might Be Of Interest:
- 4 Burgers Ideas For Your Summer BBQ Party
- 5 More Fun Drink Recipes To Try Out #CreativeMondays
- 5 Fun Drink Recipes To Try Out: Great For BBQ’S
- Venison Burger with Blue Cheese And Crispy Shallots
- 4 Meaty Ideas For Your Summer BBQ Party
- Turkey Burgers With Pea Guacamole
- 4 Coleslaw Recipes For Your Summer BBQ Party
- Isle of Wight Tomato Avocado And Red Onion Salad With A Lime And Chilli Dressing
- FRO-YO Strawberry Bark: Summer Party Treats
- How To Make A Banana Nut Cornettos