Recipe courtesy of Watercress.
Italian Herb-Roasted Chicken With Watercress, Sun-Blushed Tomatoes And Salsa Verde.
Fancy trying this Italian Herb-Roasted Chicken with Watercress, Sun-Blushed Tomatoes and Salsa Verde recipe?
In true Italian fashion, here’s a Mediterranean-influenced salad with a whole roast chicken that’s ideal for sharing with friends and family.
Italian Herb-Roasted Chicken with Watercress, Sun-Blushed Tomatoes and Salsa Verde:
Serves 4 as a main meal
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 1 x 1.5kg whole chicken
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 1 tbsp chopped oregano
- 2 bulbs garlic, separated into cloves (unpeeled)
- 150g watercress
- 75g sun-blushed tomatoes
- 75g black pitted olives
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- Salt and pepper
For The Salsa Verde:
- 1 bunch flat parsley, finely chopped
- 1 bunch basil, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp capers
- 6 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 8-10 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- Salt and pepper
Italian Herb-Roasted Chicken With Watercress, Sun-Blushed Tomatoes And Salsa Verde Method:
- Preheat the oven to 220°C. Rub the chicken all over with the olive oil, then season inside and out with salt and pepper and place in an oven tray, breast side up. Rub the chopped herbs over the chicken and scatter the garlic cloves in the baking tray. Place in the oven and roast for 15 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to 180°C. Gently pour ½ of the wine over the chicken, being careful not to disturb the herb crust. Place back into the oven and roast for a further 15 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 150°C. Pour the remaining wine over the chicken and roast for a further hour, or until cooked through. To check the bird is fully cooked, insert a knife into the inner thigh and make sure the flesh is cooked right through to the bone. Alternatively, use a meat thermometer. The inner thigh temperature should register 70°C.
- While the chicken rests, make the salsa verde. Mix together the parsley, basil, anchovies and capers. Then add the olive oil until desired consistency is reached. Add the lemon juice, mustard and salt and pepper, tasting as you go. Adjust seasoning to taste. Alternatively, this sauce can be made by whizzing everything in a food processor, although the hand-chopped rustic version is preferred by some!
- Finally, construct the salad. Tip the roasting juices out of the chicken and pour into a bowl. Peel the roasted garlic cloves and add to the bowl along with the tomatoes and olives. Add the watercress and mix well, then divide salad between four plates.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the salsa verde on the side.
Italian Herb-Roasted Chicken With Watercress, Sun-Blushed Tomatoes And Salsa Verde. Recipe courtesy of: Make the most of the Summer and enjoy healthy alfresco dining with these and other great salad recipes featuring Watercress. Photography Credits: Lara Jane Thorpe.
You Might Like:
- When Life Gives You Monday, Dip It In Glitter
- Light Brown Teddy Coat: Back In Fashion Again
- Lady & The Tramp Shirt With Jeans And Street Art
- Dark Red Jumper Dress To Match My Flowers
- Showtime Now bring On The Cabaret, My Friends
- Spooky Photoshoot In The Woods
- Happy Balloons Around The World Day
- Bake Halloween Cookies: 31 Days Of October
- Autumn Layering Fashion Ideas: 31 Days Of
- Bake An Apple Pie: 31 Days Of October