Recipe courtesy of Watercress.
Italian Herb-Roasted Chicken With Watercress, Sun-Blushed Tomatoes And Salsa Verde. Hello friends, so how are you today?
Fancy trying this Italian Herb-Roasted Chicken with Watercress, Sun-Blushed Tomatoes and Salsa Verde recipe?
In true Italian fashion, here’s a Mediterranean-influenced salad with a whole roast chicken that’s ideal for sharing with friends and family. So tasty.
Table Of Contents:
- Firstly, Italian Herb-Roasted Chicken With Watercress, Sun-Blushed Tomatoes And Salsa Verde Ingredients.
- Secondly, Italian Herb-Roasted Chicken With Watercress, Sun-Blushed Tomatoes And Salsa Verde method.
- Thirdly, Other Recipe Ideas.
Italian Herb-Roasted Chicken with Watercress, Sun-Blushed Tomatoes and Salsa Verde:
Serves 4 as a main meal
Prep time: 40 minutes | Cooking time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 1 x 1.5kg whole chicken
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 1 tbsp chopped oregano
- 2 bulbs garlic, separated into cloves (unpeeled)
- 150g watercress
- 75g sun-blushed tomatoes
- 75g black pitted olives
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- Salt and pepper
For The Salsa Verde:
- 1 bunch flat parsley, finely chopped
- One bunch basil, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp capers
- 6 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 8-10 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- Salt and pepper
Italian Herb-Roasted Chicken With Watercress, Sun-Blushed Tomatoes And Salsa Verde:
- Firstly, preheat the oven to 220°C. Rub the chicken all over with the olive oil, then season inside and out with salt and pepper and place in an oven tray, breast side up. Rub the chopped herbs over the chicken and scatter the garlic cloves in the baking tray. Place in the oven and roast for 15 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to 180°C. Gently pour ½ of the wine over the chicken, being careful not to disturb the herb crust. Place back into the oven and roast for a further 15 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 150°C. Pour the remaining wine over the chicken and roast for a further hour, or until cooked through. To check the bird is fully cooked, insert a knife into the inner thigh and make sure the flesh is cooked right through to the bone. Alternatively, use a meat thermometer. The inner thigh temperature should register 70°C.
- While the chicken rests, make the salsa verde. Mix together the parsley, basil, anchovies and capers. Then add the olive oil until desired consistency is reached. Add the lemon juice, mustard and salt and pepper, tasting as you go. Adjust seasoning to taste. Alternatively, this sauce can be made by whizzing everything in a food processor, although the hand-chopped rustic version is preferred by some!
Making The Salad:
- Finally, construct the salad. Tip the roasting juices out of the chicken and pour into a bowl. Peel the roasted garlic cloves and add to the bowl along with the tomatoes and olives. Add the watercress and mix well, then divide salad between four plates.
- Last but not least, carve the chicken and serve with the salsa verde on the side.
Italian Herb-Roasted Chicken With Watercress:
Italian Herb-Roasted Chicken With Watercress, Sun-Blushed Tomatoes And Salsa Verde. Recipe courtesy of: Make the most of the Summer and enjoy healthy alfresco dining with these and other great salad recipes featuring Watercress. Photography Credits: Lara Jane Thorpe.
So what do you think about this recipe? Do you also fancy trying it? Because I do. Updated Post. First published here 11th July 2017.
You Might Like:
Firstly, Warm Watercress, Bacon And Apple Salad. Hello friends. I mentioned yesterday that I’d be sharing a few new Autumn/Winter Watercress dishes, starting with a Pumpkin Risotto With Watercress Pesto.
Today I’m going to share a delicious Warm Watercress, Bacon, and Apple Salad recipe with you. Without the bread, this dish serves 2 as a lunch or 4 as a side dish. Warm Watercress, Bacon And Apple Salad. So tasty.
Secondly, Pumpkin Risotto With Watercress Pesto(v). Watercress is a great way to make the most of Autumn’s abundant harvest. Autumn brings nature’s bounty of delicious root vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds, all begging to be combined in delectable combinations, some warming and filling, others simple and light, but all delightful.
Keri Astill-Frew, Development Chef, has conjured up some autumn/fall magic by merging the best of nature’s larder with that ultimate healthy powerhouse, watercress. Pumpkin Risotto With Watercress Pesto. So autumn-y.
Watercress, Blue Cheese And Butternut Squash Pizza:
Thirdly, Fancy Making A Watercress, Blue Cheese And Butternut Squash Pizza? Watercress, Blue Cheese And Butternut Squash Pizza. So more-ish.
Fourthly, Scallops Grilled With Hazelnut Butter, Watercress And Pea Shoots. So are you looking for Valentine’s Day dinner starter?
How about making some of these Scallops Grilled With Hazelnut Butter, Watercress And Pea Shoots? Scallops Grilled with Hazelnut Butter, Watercress and Pea Shoots.
Fifthly, Chocolate, Orange & Watercress Brownies with Chocolate Ganache Topping. Chocolate, orange and watercress may not seem the most obvious combination but by golly, it works!
The sharp pepper of the watercress contrasts deliciously with the citrus flavours and bitterness of the chocolate to make a truly mouth-watering treat. Chocolate, Orange & Watercress Brownies with Chocolate Ganache Topping. So good.
Dark Chocolate Fondant With Watercress Sorbet And Honeycomb:
Sixth, Dark Chocolate Fondant With Watercress Sorbet And Honeycomb. So do you fancy making this Dark chocolate fondant with watercress sorbet and honeycomb (v)? Because I do! Also, a perfect end of a dinner party or Valentine’s Day meal off with this sweet treat.
Every element of this dish can be prepared ahead of time, simply cook the fondants at the last minute. Dark Chocolate Fondant With Watercress Sorbet And Honeycomb. So yummy.
Last but not least, Rack Of Lamb With Hasselback Potatoes, Winter Brassicas And Red Wine Sauce. Watercress has developed some mouth-watering recipes to help love birds everywhere this Valentine’s Day to get all a flutter over each other by combining peppery watercress with other aphrodisiacs.
Over the next few days I will be sharing the recipes with you, starting with the Rack of lamb with Hasselback potatoes, winter brassicas and red wine sauce.
Now all you have to do is dim the lights, turn on the music and let the evening take its course! Rack Of Lamb With Hasselback Potatoes, Winter Brassicas And Red Wine Sauce. So tasty.
Thank you so much for stopping by. I also hope you liked this post?
These recipes were also created by development chef Keri Astill-Frew. Keri has worked in top restaurants across the UK including a Michelin star hotel in Lancashire and a variety of fine dining restaurants and gastro-pubs in Dorset and Sussex.