Recipe c/o South African stone fruit.
Jo’burg Bobotie: South Africa’s National Dish.
Our recipe for South Africa’s national dish is similar to a spicy moussaka – and it makes a great family meal.
Jo’burg Bobotie: South Africa’s National Dish
How To Make Jo’burg Bobotie:
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
You Will Need:
- 2 South African peaches or nectarines
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 350g sweet potato, peeled and sliced (roughly 5mm rounds)
- 350g lean minced beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp garam masala
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp dried oregano or marjoram
- 150g tomato puree
- 5tbsp red wine or water
- 50g sultanas
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 200g Greek-style yogurt
- 100g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
How To Make:
1 Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4. Halve, pit and chop the South African peaches or nectarines. Set aside.
2 Put the oil into a baking dish. Arrange the sweet potato slices in the base, turning them to coat. Bake for 20- 25 minutes, or until tender.
3 Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan and add the mince, a handful at a time, cooking for 3-4 minutes until browned. Add the onion, garlic and pepper and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the spices and herbs, tomato puree, red wine or water and sultanas and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the chopped South African peaches or nectarines and stir them in. Season.
4 Spoon into the baking dish over the cooked sweet potato, levelling the surface. Cool a little while making the topping.
5 Beat together the eggs and yogurt, then stir in half the cheese. Season and pour over the mince mixture, sprinkling the remaining cheese on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes until set and golden brown.
Cook’s Tip: Freeze if you like, then reheat thoroughly from frozen for about 45 minutes
Jo’burg Bobotie: South Africa’s National Dish Recipe c/o South African stone fruit.
What do you think?
Fancy trying this recipe?
You Might Also Like:
- Still Wearing My Teddy Coat From Winter: Fashion Over 40
- Spring Has Sprung But The Jumpers Are Back Out!!
- Gold Colour Cream Pearl Hair Clips: New In Today
- A Day Out In York: Way Back Wednesday Style Post
- Rose Gold Colour Crystal And Peach Flower Stud Earrings
- What If We Rewrite The Stars? 0ver 40 Fitness
- Getting My Summer Wardrobe Ready: Over 40 Style
- Ne’er Cast A Clout ‘Til May Be Out! Over 40 Style
- The Hardest Part Of Having A Dog Is Knowing
- Stacking Gold Colour Crystal Initial Bangle UK Buy