Recipe courtesy of This recipe has been created by London bakery owner, Lily Vanilli, to celebrate Del Monte’s 125th Anniversary.
Lily Vanilli’s Festive Trifle. Hello friends. So how are you today? All good, I hope.
We love making trifles at Christmas time so today I have this delicious Lily Vanilli’s Festive Trifle to share with you. How beautiful is it?
But almost to good to eat!! I hear you shout!!
How To Make Lily Vanilli’s Festive Trifle:
Serves 10-15 in a 30cm x 30cm trifle bowl
Preparation time: 45minutes
1 x 415g can Del Monte® Fruit Cocktail in Juice (well-drained)
1 x 415g can Del Monte® Peach Slices in Juice (well-drained)
A handful of fresh cherries (stalks on)
100g dark chocolate, chopped
Edible gold dust / desiccated coconut/ hundreds and thousands
Pink food colouring or 2tsp crushed, freeze-dried raspberries (optional)
Madeira Cake (shop bought 2-3 loaves or homemade)
Custard (shop-bought 1 x 400g can or homemade)
50g unsalted butter, softened
150g icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
35ml double cream
Berries & edible flowers for decoration
NB: Ingredients and method for making your own Madeira cake and custard are below.
Lily Vanilli’s Festive Trifle Method:
1. Firstly, soak the Madeira cake (see below for recipe) by pricking the surface with a fork and gently drizzling with liqueur.
2. Prepare cherries for decoration by melting the chocolate in a bain-marie (gently melt 2/3 of the chocolate in a metal or glass bowl, set over an inch of simmering water in a saucepan.
When almost completely melted, remove from the heat and add the remaining chocolate, stirring until completely melted).
Remove From Heat:
Remove from heat and gently dip your cherries in the chocolate to coat completely.
3. Once set, brush the cherries with your edible gold dust until they shine.
If using coconut or hundreds & thousands instead of gold dust, dip into your chosen decoration whilst the chocolate is still wet.
4. Add colouring or freeze-dried raspberries to shop-bought or homemade custard (see below for recipe).
5. Make your buttercream by beating together butter, sugar, vanilla, food colouring/freeze-dried raspberries and cream.
6. Now it’s time to assemble your trifle! Gently place the first layer of soaked Madeira cake into the base of a 30cm x 30cm trifle bowl.
7. Top the cake with a layer of Del Monte® Peach Slices making sure they are placed up to the edge of the sponge.
8. Then add a layer of pink custard and another layer of cake.
9. Top this with a layer of Del Monte® Fruit Cocktail making sure the fruits are placed up to the edge of the sponge.
10. Then add a layer of pink custard and another layer of cake.
11. Repeat this pattern as many times as your bowl allows, ensuring you finish with a final layer of Madeira cake.
12. Using a piping bag, pipe the top layer with the buttercream with extra dabs piped in a circle around the edge of the trifle.
13. Place your decorated cherries where you have piped your dabs.
14. Last but not least, now decorate with fresh berries and edible flowers, arranged in a suitably celebratory design!
Lily Vanilli’s Festive Trifle: Perfect For Christmas:
Also great for any parties you might be planning.
So For The Madeira Cake:
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Cooling time: 40 minutes (approx.)
4 x 6” round cake tins (or you can bake 2 batches if you only have 2), greased and lined.
270g unsalted butter, room temperature
270g caster sugar
5 small eggs
375g self-raising flour sifted
4 ½ tbsp milk
1. Firstly, preheat the oven to 180˚C /gas mark 6.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, and beat until just incorporated.
4. Fold in the flour, then add the milk slowly – you need just enough to ensure that the mixture falls slowly from the spoon.
5. Divide the mixture between the prepared cake tins and level out to the edges.
6. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a sharp knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
For The Custard:
Preparation time: 15 minutesCooking time: 10 minutes
45g caster sugar
1 tbsp cornflour
5 small egg yolks
390ml double cream
¼ vanilla pod or ½ tsp vanilla extract
To colour: a pinch of pink food colouring, or crushed, freeze-dried raspberry (optional)
1. In a heatproof bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornflour and egg yolks by hand until white and fluffy.
NOTE: This works best if you whisk for 3 minutes, leave it to stand for a few minutes, then whisk again for 3 minutes.
2. Heat the cream with the vanilla in a heavy-bottomed pan, until it reaches a simmer. Pour the heated cream over the egg yolks, and whisk thoroughly until combined.
3. Add pink colouring or freeze-dried raspberries.
4. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water to make a double boiler and whilst on a medium heat, stir continuously with a spatula, until thick and creamy – approximately 7–8 minutes.
5. Leave to cool completely.
Lily Vanilli’s Festive Trifle:
Lily Vanilli’s Festive Trifle Recipe courtesy of This recipe has been created by London bakery owner, Lily Vanilli, to celebrate Del Monte’s 125th Anniversary.
For more recipe inspiration, please visit Delmonte Europe. So what do you think of this recipe? Do you fancy trying it? Because I do!!
I think this would make a great Christmas party piece. Imagine seeing your guests faces!! So surprised to see such a beautiful treat also at the same time, happy to be able to try some.
You Might Also Like:
How To Make A British Berry Trifle For Any Occasion:
Firstly, do you love trifle? We do here. Also today I have this yummy British Berry Trifle to share with you: How To Make A British Berry Trifle.
Pear And Ginger Trifle:
Secondly, do you love individual trifles here?
If so, how about trying this pear and ginger trifle recipe out? Pear & Ginger Trifle.
On the other hand, if you are looking for lots of ideas, why not check this post out?
6 Trifle Recipes To Try Out: Perfect For Christmas:
Thirdly, we love trifles here. One of my husband favourite treats. I love to make trifles recipes up and trying different ones out. Especially at Christmas.
Something kinda special about making fun trifles recipes up. At the same time being very traditional.
They always remind me of my grandma. Especially at Christmas. Because she made the most amazing trifles.
She always made them at Christmas. Of course, they also remind me of being little, too.
So every birthday party I went to had some kind of trifles or jelly and cream at them. 6 Trifle Recipes To Try Out: Perfect For Christmas. Of course, great for any party.
Boozy Brownie, Cherry And Walnut Trifle:
Last but not least, 3 words, cherries, brandy, brownies!! So yummy!!
So what do you think of these recipe ideas? Because I fancy making one right now. Do you also fancy making any?
- How Do You Like Your Eggs? Hotel Chocolat Review
- Easter Biscuits Sharing Ideas: Easter Special
- A Poppy Swing Dress That Never Goes Out Of Style
- Top 5 Dinner Party Dishes for Easter To Try Out
- Afternoon Tea Recipes: Spoil Your Mum On Mother’s Day
- Vanilla Easter Cup Cakes: Easter Baking How To Make
- 9 Tips For A Perfect Valentines Day Meal
- How To Make Apple Of Your Eye Pie
- BerryWorld Strawberry and Almond Macarons: How To
- 12 Recipes For Veganuary: Recipe Inspiration To Try
- Quick And Easy To Make Vegan Frosted Lemon Cake
- How To Make Spiced Carrot And Ginger Soup
- Tiger Prawn, Avocado And Harissa Mayo Tacos
- Marshmallow Crispy Cupcakes: Great For Parties
- Turkey and Mozzarella Christmas Sandwich Loaf
- Jumpers Back Out For This Crazy Cold May Weather
- Blogging Over A Decade & Another Lockdown Birthday
- Denim Jacket, Yellow Maxi Dress And A Beautiful
- 6 Pairs Of Earrings For Spring Summer 2021: UK Buy
- Chesterfield Crooked Spire In Springtime: Over 40 Style
- Saturday Night’s Alright For Fighting
- My Spring 2021 Footwear: This Weeks Friday Feet
- Light Blue Floral Maxi Dress With Light Blue Shoes
- Bee Kind, Bee Honest, Bee Positive, Over 40 Fashion
- All Dressed Up And Nowhere To Go: What I Wore
- Travel Plans To London But First, Let Me Take A Selfie
- The North Face Coat, Primark Jumper And Tu Clothing
- Every Day Of Your Life Is A Special Occasion
- Long Floaty Floral Maxi Dress And White Converse Shoes
- Green Floral Maxi Dress And A Visit To The Beach
Lily Vanilli’s Festive Trifle: Perfect For Christmas:
Finally, lovelies; I hope you like this post?
If so, why not follow along so you never miss a post? So remember you can also share your thoughts here too in the comments below.