Recipe courtesy of The Consorzio del Formaggio Parmigiano Reggiano.
Parmigiano Reggiano And Saffron Risotto.
Brighten up your table this summer with a colourful and delicious Saffron & Parmigiano Reggiano risotto. This quick and easy recipe is packed with flavour and is perfect for a dinner party with friends.
This recipe serves 4 people.
How To Make Parmigiano Reggiano And Saffron Risotto:
320g carnaroli or vialone nano rice
1L vegetable stock
150g Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
1 glass of dry white wine
0.20g saffron pistils
Salt, to taste
1. Chop the saffron pistils and let them dissolve in a bowl of stock.
2. In the meantime, melt 80g butter in a pan, browning the shallot and then add the rice and toast it.
3. Pour the white wine into the pan and leave to evaporate. Once all the alcohol has evaporated, pour 2 ladles of boiling stock to the side of the pan so the temperature of the rice does not decrease.
4. Halfway through cooking, add the dissolved saffron.
5. Once cooked, cream the rice with the remaining butter and grated Parmigiano Reggiano, add salt to taste.
6. Leave the risotto to rest a minute before serving
Parmigiano Reggiano and Saffron Risotto recipe courtesy of:
The Consorzio del Formaggio Parmigiano Reggiano
Food Styling and Photography: John Holdship
Recipe Creation: Francesco Dall’Argine
About Parmigiano Reggiano:
Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, known as the King of Cheeses, is one of the world’s oldest and richest cheeses – still produced today as it was nine centuries ago. It’s the only cheese that has such an extensive maturation which develops its delicious flavour and unique characteristics.
The use of raw milk and the richness of natural ingredients make this cheese a superior product. A long ageing period is fundamental in building the aromas and texture of Parmigiano Reggiano. Such complexity is achieved in a totally natural way, without any additives, making Parmigiano Reggiano 100% natural, easy to digest and high in calcium.
The minimum maturation time is at least 12 months, but only when it reaches approximately 24 months of age, is at its best. Ageing can continue up to 36 months or more, during which time the cheese develops its flavour, texture and digestibility.
At the end of the minimum period of ageing, an expert from the Consortium examines each cheese wheel one by one. If a wheel passes inspection and meets the requirements of the P.D.O. (Protected Designation of Origin), it is fire-branded with an oval mark that reads “Parmigiano Reggiano Consorzio Tutela.” On the contrary, the identifying marks and the dotted inscriptions are removed from any cheeses which do not meet the requirements
Within the European Union, Parmigiano Reggiano is the only hard cheese that can legally be called Parmesan. In many areas outside of Europe, the name has become genericized and is used by a number of hard Italian-style grating cheeses even if Parmesan means “from Parma”. However, Parmigiano Reggiano is “the only Parmesan” as it is made in a restricted geographic area using stringently defined methods and according to P.D.O. regulation
Parmigiano Reggiano is a P.D.O. product. P.D.O. products are defined and protected by European Union law in order to defend the reputation of regional foods. This mark ensures that Parmigiano Reggiano can only be produced in Parma, Reggio Emilia, Modena, Bologna to the west of the Reno River and Mantua to the east of the Po River
Parmigiano Reggiano in numbers:
14 litres of milk makes 1 kg of cheese
24 months is the average ageing of the wheels
40 kg is the weight of a wheel
550 litres of milk to make one wheel
Parmigiano Reggiano And Saffron Risotto.
Fancy trying this recipe?
You Might Also Like:
Latest From The Blog:
- Gold Colour Crystal Initial Bangle: Mother’s Day Gifts
- A View From Sky Gardens Also The Effects From Stress
- Peanuts Snoopy Pink Sweatshirt And How I Styled
- Vintage Steampunk Hat Reminds Me Of Alice
- All We Hear Is Radio Ga Ga Radio Goo Goo Radio Ga Ga
- Snow Way!! What I Wore In The Snow: Over 40 Style
- Street Art Saturday: How To Fake It Till You Make It!!
- 9 Tips For A Perfect Valentines Day Meal
- 5 Fun Dog Quotes To Start Your Weekend
- Never Rains But It Pours… Over 40 Style Blogger
- Hot Pink Dress Teamed Up With Miss Piggy Shoes
- Don’t Look Back In Anger I Hear You Say
- Rest In Peace Dad, We Love You So Much…
- Isle of Wight Tomato Shakshuka: Supper Sorted
- Chocolate Fondue That You Will Want To Share