Last week Pyrex kindle sent me a glass cake dish to try out, review and recreate their Mother’s Day Cake.
I have always cooked my cakes in tins or silicon trays. I had never cooked a cake in a glass dish before. This was going to be an interesting new way to bake tasty cakes.
First up getting all the ingredients together.
Product: Cake cooked in a Pyrex 26cm x 23cm Glass Cake Dish with Handles
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 150g soft spread (suitable for baking)
- 150g self-rising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- Grated rind of 1 orange
For the Icing:
- 150g Icing sugar
- 3-4 tsp orange juice
- Preheat the oven to Gas 4, 180°C.
- Grease the Pyrex glass cake dish and line the base with a circle of greaseproof paper.
- Put all of the cake ingredients into a bowl and using an electric hand whisk mix the ingredients together for 1 minute until light and fluffy (if mixing by hand, use a wooden spoon and cream well together for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy).
- Put the mixture into the dish and spread evenly over the base.
- Cook for 40 minutes until golden brown and springy to the touch (if tested with a skewer, it should come out clean).
- Leave to cool.
- Turn the cake out of the dish.
- Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl and mix with enough orange juice to make a thick spreadable icing.
- Spread over the top of the cake.
Alexandra Blyth, UK Marketing Manager at Pyrex explains the benefits of choosing glassware;
“Pyrex’s history is founded on the creation of our iconic borosilicate glass over 100 years ago and whilst cooking trends have changed, our iconic glass collection remains incredibly popular. This is mainly due to the versatility of the glass and its suitability to be used in the oven, microwave, fridge and freezer, making it really useful and practical”.
“Glass dishes also mean that after enjoying a delicious meal you don’t have to spend a long time washing up as the material is incredibly easy to clean. Plus glass doesn’t retain any flavours or stains, which means there are no fears about reusing these useful products after creating recipes with strong flavours.
“It isn’t just traditional glass bakeware which is incredibly useful, at Pyrex we’ve found that products like our casserole dish, and newly relaunched vintage bowl are being used to whip up delicious, sweet delicacies. With that in mind, we were prompted to create a series of recipes which highlight the multifunctional nature of our glassware and show how a casserole dish can even be used to create a hazelnut and chocolate twist!
“Ultimately it is the individuals’ decision when it comes to choosing the products they need, but with a history dating back 100 years you can rest assured that when you choose Pyrex glassware you are selecting a product which will stand the test of time.”
My cake tastes super yummy and I loved cooking it in a Pyrex dish. Going to try out some more cake recipes in it now!!
A photo posted by Claire (@clairejustineoxox) on
A video posted by Claire (@clairejustineoxox) on
I was sent a sample to review.
All thoughts are my own.
I was not paid for this post.