Quick Tarragon Chicken with Chestnut and Morel Mushrooms…
You will need:
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 free-range organic chicken breasts, skin on
- 60g Graham’s organic butter
- 20g dried morels, soaked in warm water for 15 minutes
- 100g chestnut mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 200ml dry white wine
- 200ml brown chicken stock
- 200ml Graham’s organic double Cream
- 2 tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- Maldon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 200g spring greens – we used asparagus & broccoli
- 300g new potatoes, scrubbed
- 25g parsley
- 50g Graham’s organic butter
- Skin the chicken breasts and slice the meat vertically, across the grain of the meat, into even-sized thin escalopes of about a centimetre in thickness, to give roughly 3 pieces per breast.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat and add the oil.
- Add the chicken pieces one at a time, ensuring they are not on top of each other.
- Leave them alone in the pan to allow a nice crust to form.
- Turn the chicken pieces over and cook for another 2-3 minutes as above.
- Add the butter, the soaked morels (retain the liquid for later) and quartered chestnut mushrooms to the pan, moving them around in the butter to ensure they take on a nice colour.
- Pour in the wine and deglaze using a heatproof spatula to scrape all the flavour and caramelised pieces from the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce by half, then add the stock plus 4 tablespoons of the strained mushroom soaking liquid and reduce by half again.
- Add the cream and chopped tarragon and bring to a simmer.
- Further reduce the sauce until it has a good coating consistency on the back of a spoon.
- If you have a thermoprobe thermometer, the serving temperature of the meat should be 80C.
- Check the seasoning.
- For the potatoes, boil them in plenty of boiling salted water until tender – 15-20mins, then lightly fork them with the butter, pepper and chopped parsley.
- When you’re ready to serve, spoon the hot crushed parsley potato into a mousse ring (or cake cutter) on a warmed plate to make a neat round helping.
- Pat down gently then remove the mousse ring.
- Place the chicken on the plates with steamed greens on the side and the sauce and mushrooms spooned round.
Recipe and photo credit by – Grahams The family Dairy