Fancy making a nice and tasty stir fry with added fruit?
Crisp, crunchy South African apples taste so good in this stir-fry, made with tender strips of pork fillet, cashew nuts and sesame seeds – with aromatic hints of ginger and garlic.
Royal Gala Apple, Pork and Cashew Nut Stir-fry:
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 10 minutes
- 250g pack dried medium egg noodles
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 40g unsalted cashew nuts
- 1 pork fillet (weighing about 350g), cut into strips or thin slices
- 6 spring onions, sliced
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 100g mangetout or sugar snap peas, halved
- 2 South African Royal Gala apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tsp grated fresh root ginger
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 100ml unsweetened apple juice
- 50ml vegetable stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Put the noodles into a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to stand for 5-6 minutes while making the stir-fry.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan and add the cashews, browning them for about 30 seconds. Remove with a draining spoon and set aside.
- Add the pork fillet and stir-fry over a high heat for 3-4 minutes, then add the spring onions, celery, mangetout or sugar snap peas, apples, garlic and ginger. Cook over a high heat for another 3-4 minutes.
- Blend together the cornflour, soy sauce, apple juice and vegetable stock. Add to the stir-fry with the drained noodles and cook gently for a few seconds. Season with black pepper and serve, sprinkled with the cashew nuts and sesame seeds.
- To save time, use ready-prepared ginger and garlic. You can vary the type of South African apples too – Granny Smith or Golden Delicious also work well.
Recipe and photograph by South Africa
What do you think?
Fancy making this Royal Gala Apple, Pork and Cashew Nut Stir-fry recipe up?