South African Pink Lady Cornmeal Cake.
Cake anyone? Yummy!
You must try a slice of this yummy gluten-free polenta cake made with South African apples and ground almonds – it’s moist, moreish and marvellous!
How To Make:
Preparation: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes
1 South African Pink Lady or Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped
150g butter, at room temperature
150g caster sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
1tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
200g ground almonds
1tsp gluten-free baking powder (most baking powder is gluten-free)
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
Finely shredded zest and juice of 1 lemon
40g icing sugar
1 South African Pink Lady or Granny Smith apple, cored and thinly sliced
Crème fraiche, to serve
How To Make:
1 Cook the chopped apple in a small amount of water for 5-6 minutes, until tender. Drain and cool. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin.
2 Beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy, then gradually beat in the eggs. Fold in the vanilla, polenta, salt, ground almonds and baking powder. Stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice and cooled apples.
3 Transfer the mixture to the cake tin and level the top. Bake for 40-45 minutes until set and golden. Cool for 20 minutes in the tin, then turn out carefully and cool completely. Remove the lining paper.
4 Heat the lemon zest and juice with 4tbsp water and the icing sugar. Add the apple slices and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Spoon over the cake and cool. Serve with crème fraiche.
Cook’s Tip: When grating zest from lemons, only remove the yellow part – the white pith has a bitter taste.
This campaign is run by HORTGRO, the industry association representing South African fruit growers.
Recipe and images courtesy of South African Fruit.
What do you think of this cake recipe?
Fancy trying it?
You might also like these South African Fruit recipes:
Some More Posts That Might Be Of Interest:
- Zesty Avocado And Lime Cake: The Perfect Pairings
- White Chocolate Gateau: White Chocolate Day
- White Chocolate Blondie’s With Blueberries And Macadamia Nuts
- White Chocolate And Pistachio Sponge Blondies
- Victoria Sponge Cake Recipe With A Yummy Filling
- Ultimate Halloween Cake: Chocolatey Red Velvet
- Superbly Easy To Make Ginger And Orange No Bake Cheesecake
- Squidgy Carrot And Courgette Cake (How To)
- South African Pink Lady Cornmeal Cake
- South African Peach And Thyme Filo Tarte Tatin