Are you looking for a nice and tasty salad ideas?
Fancy something with a crunch?
How about trying out this South African Pink Lady, Stilton & Caramelised Pecan Salad?
South African Pink Lady, Stilton And Caramelised Pecan Salad:
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 2 minutes
- 80g bag watercress
- 150g young spinach leaves
- 2 South African Pink Lady apples, cored and sliced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 sticks celery, thinly sliced
- 50g raisins or sultanas
- 150g Stilton cheese, broken into chunks
- 80g pecan nuts
- 10g butter
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- Pinch of sea salt flakes
- 4 tbsp walnut oil
- tsp Dijon mustard
- tbsp cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt, sugar and freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse and drain the watercress and spinach leaves thoroughly, then share them between 4 serving plates.
- Toss the apple slices in lemon juice and arrange them on the salads with the celery, raisins or sultanas and Stilton cheese.
- Heat the pecans in a dry frying pan for 1-2 minutes, then add the butter and sugar. Cook for another few seconds to melt the butter and sugar, then remove from the heat after another few seconds when a little smoke begins to rise. Cool slightly, then add the sea salt.
- Make the dressing by mixing together the walnut oil, mustard and vinegar. Season with a pinch of salt, sugar and freshly ground black pepper.
- Scatter the pecans over the salads and drizzle the dressing on top. Serve at once.
- Try using sliced South African pears instead of apples – or use a combination of apples and pears. Not keen on blue cheese? Try a soft goat’s cheese or Cheshire cheese instead.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of South Africa Fruits.
Fancy making this South African Pink Lady, Stilton And Caramelised Pecan Salad recipe up?