Recipe c/o South African stone fruit.
South African Plum Sauce with Duck Stir fry.
This Chinese-inspired spicy plum sauce makes the perfect condiment for stir-fries – excellent with sliced duck breasts, vegetables and noodles.
How To Make South African Plum Sauce With Duck Stir-Fry:
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Makes 2 x 300ml bottles (approx. 20 servings)
(Stir fry serves 2)
For The Plum Sauce:
- 400g South African plums, pitted and chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 150g demerara or light muscovado sugar
- 2tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 2tbsp light or dark soy sauce
- 350ml white wine vinegar
For The Stir Fry:
- 2 nests egg noodles
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 skinless duck breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 100g sugar snap peas or fine green beans, sliced
- 2 heads pak choi, shredded
How To Make South African Plum Sauce With Duck Stir Fry:
1 Put the South African plums into a large saucepan with the onion, garlic, sugar, Chinese five-spice powder, ginger, soy sauce and vinegar. Add 150ml water and bring up to the boil.
2 Reduce the heat and simmer gently until the plums are very soft and the mixture has reduced and thickened – about 30-40 minutes. Pour into warm, sterilized bottles or jars. Seal and leave to cool.
3 For the stir-fry first, cover the noodle nests with boiling water and leave to soak for 5-6 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan and stir-fry the duck for 2 minutes. Add the spring onions, carrot and sugar snap peas or green beans and cook for 2 minutes more. Finally, add the pak choi and cook for another few moments. Drain the noodles and stir them in gently with 3-4tbsp of the plum sauce.
4 Serve immediately, with a little extra plum sauce spooned over. Cook’s tip: If you wish, puree the plum sauce in a blender or food processor, (or use a hand-held stick blender) to give a smooth consistency.
South African Plum Sauce With Duck Stir Fry Recipe c/o South African stone fruit.
What do you think of this South African Plum Sauce with Duck Stir-fry recipe?
Let me know your thoughts in the comments below⤵
You Might Also Like:
Some Posts You Might Be Interested In:
- 5 Christmas Log Ideas To Try Out
- 10 Drinks Ideas To Try Out This Christmas
- 6 Trifle Recipes To Try: Modern Trifle Recipes
- 5 Christmas Cupcake Recipes For Your Party
- 11 Mince Pie Filling, Mince Pies How To Make
- 5 Holiday Salads To Try Out And Make
- 11 Coffee Recipes For International Coffee Day
- Styling A Blue Flowered 1950s Vintage Dress
- Blueberry Muffins | The Best Muffins I Have
- 7 Home Made Marmalade Recipes