Spicy Apple Cake…
Spicy Apple Cake By Niamh Stott
357 calories / 14.3g fat per portion
Niamh says: ‘This is a big hit with kids and adults alike – and it’s soooo easy to make!’
- 120g (4½ oz) Kerrygold butter, softened
- 225g (8oz) light muscovado or light soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 350g (12oz)
- Bramley apple sauce
- 260g (9½ oz) plain flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- whipped cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Line a 20cm (8 inch) round cake tin with baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs, beating well between each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and apple sauce.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar mixture, folding together with a large metal spoon until just combined.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a fine skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Brush the top with apple sauce and serve with whipped cream.
- For an alternative topping, melt 20g (3/4 oz) Kerrygold butter in a non-stick frying pan and add 1 eating apple, cored and thinly sliced.
- Fry gently until softened, then add a pinch of ground cinnamon and 20g (3/4 oz) sugar.
- Cook for a few more moments, cool slightly, then arrange on top of the cake.
About this post –
Recipe and photo credit by:
Niamh Stott’s recipe has been taken from the Kerrygold Community Recip-e-book, available for free download now!