Sprout, Leek & Hazelnut Gratin with Davidstow® 12 Month Mature Cheddar.
By Lee Westcott for Davidstow®
Hello friends, so how are you today?
Gratin, meaning a dish with a lightly browned crust of breadcrumbs or melted cheese, is also the ultimate side dish for Christmas dinner. I like mine with a good quality cheddar cheese and hazelnuts for a fancy, festive twist.
How To Make A Sprout, Leek & Hazelnut Gratin With Davidstow® 12 Month Mature Cheddar:
500g brussel sprouts
60g blanched hazelnuts
400g full fat milk
50g white wine
100g Davidstow® 12 Month Mature cheddar, grated
150g white leek sliced (discard the green part)
20g chopped sage
30g chopped parsley
Fine salt and white pepper
How To Make Sprout, Leek & Hazelnut Gratin with Davidstow® 12 Month Mature cheddar:
1. Firstly, preheat a fan assisted oven to 170°c
2. Quarter the brussel sprouts and cook in boiling salted water for 1 minute. Plunge them into ice water to retain their colour and to stop them cooking.
3. Once cool, drain them well and roast in a frying pan with butter until they are lightly roasted and golden brown.
4. Toast the hazelnuts in the oven for 2-3 minutes. Allow to cool. Now crush these roughly.
5. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Remove the pan from the heat add the white wine. Cook this out for 1-2 minutes, stirring well.
7. Now gradually add the milk, stirring continuously to ensure you get a smooth sauce.
8. Return to the heat and simmer very gently, stirring continuously. Simmer for 8-10 minutes.
9. Remove from the heat, add the grated cheese and stir in well. Season with salt and white pepper.
10. Sweat off leeks without colour, add brussel sprout quarters, mix together and remove from the heat.
11. Add crushed roasted hazelnuts and chopped herbs.
12. Place the mixture into a small gratin or earthenware dish. Now pour over the warm cheese sauce. 13. Sprinkle over breadcrumbs and some more finely grated Davidstow® 12 Month Mature cheddar. 14. Bake for 6-8 minutes until golden brown.
Last but not least, enjoy.
So what do you think about this Sprout, Leek & Hazelnut Gratin with Davidstow® 12 Month Mature cheddar recipe?
Do you also fancy trying it? Because I know I do.
Recipe Created by Lee Westcott for Davidstow®
You Might Also like:
Turkey, Gammon And Sprout Pot Pie:
Firstly, a bubbling, golden-crusted pie is the simplest way of turning Christmas leftovers into a warming centrepiece.
Sprout And Chestnut Gratin:
Secondly, more Brussels? Are you also planning something a little different for your Christmas dinner sides?
So how about making this Sprout And Chestnut Gratin? Brussels Sprouts. So do you love them or hate them?
Sprouts are also a must at Christmas, aren’t they? Even if you’re not the biggest of fans. Sprout And Chestnut Gratin.
How To Make Brussels Sprout And Comté Gratin:
Thirdly, do you fancy trying out this Brussels sprout And Comté gratin recipe?
So Brussels are not just for Christmas, are they?
Also an utterly delicious twist on a very festive vegetable, the sprouts are baked with pancetta & thyme and topped with Comté and breadcrumbs.
So tasty!! How To Make Brussels Sprout And Comté Gratin.
Thanks so much for stopping by.
I also hope you liked this post?
If so, why not follow along so you never miss a post? So remember you can also share your thoughts here too in the comments below.