Summer Almond Cake with Lavender Icing how yummy!? …
Summer Almond Cake with Lavender Icing : By Alan Palmer
320 calories / 19.8g fat per portion
Alan says: ‘This recipe sums up summer – fresh, light and bursting with colour and flavour’
For the cake:
- 110g (4oz) Kerrygold butter, softened
- 110g (4oz) golden caster sugar
- 3 free range eggs
- 75g (3oz) self raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 45g (1½ oz) ground almonds
- 110g (4oz) blueberries
- 110g (4oz) raspberries
For the icing:
- 75g (3oz) Kerrygold butter, cubed and softened
- 150g (5oz) icing sugar
- 1 tbsp single cream
- 1 tsp fresh lavender
- lavender sprigs, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Line a 20cm (8 inch) round cake tin with baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs, beating well between each addition.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder, then fold into the mixture with the ground almonds.
- Gently fold in the blueberries and raspberries.
- Spoon into the prepared tin, level the surface and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Cool for 20 minutes, then remove from the tin and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- When cool, prepare the icing.
- Beat the butter and icing sugar together until combined, then whisk vigorously until pale and fluffy.
- Add the cream and half the lavender.
- Spread over the surface of the cake and decorate with the remaining lavender.
- Check online for suppliers of culinary lavender.
- If you can’t find any, try using a little finely grated lemon or orange zest in the icing instead.
About this post –
Recipe and photo credit by Alan Palmer’s recipe has been taken from the Kerrygold Community Recip-e-book, available for free download now!
Visit Kerrygold UK for more delicious recipes and to download your free copy.