This post is an entry for the #Dolmio #ThankGoodness Challenge, sponsored by Dolmio.
#ThankGoodness Challenge With Dolmio and Britmums.
I love fun challenges, especially when it involves food!! Last week I was invited to take part in a fun food challenge called #ThankGoodness with Dolmio and Britmums.
Dolmio is our go-to pasta sauce. Our household all love the taste, and it is full of healthy ingredients. My favourite variety is the one with extra chunky courgettes. The Hubby likes the one with extra onion and garlic. I then add some fresh courgettes. Either way, it tastes amazing.
First up Dolmio wants to set the record straight:
They’ve found that there’s some confusion around what goes into a jar of our Bolognese sauce so we want to set the record straight.
A 500g jar of Dolmio Bolognese sauce is 100% natural; it contains no artificial colours, flavours, preservatives or sweeteners. In each jar, you’ll find at least 10 juicy diced tomatoes, some tomato puree, half an onion, sunflower oil, garlic, a handful of herbs, a teaspoon of cornflour, a teaspoon of salt, a pinch of pepper, two teaspoons of beet sugar for taste, a squeeze of lemon juice, a splash of water and nothing more.
In fact, a jar provides a family of four with one of their 5-a-day making it a great mid-week meal option for the whole family.
Sounds good to me!!
With some meat, vegetables and a few extras from the kitchen cupboard, I have created a convenient, quick, balanced lunch or dinner (with extra salad) recipe everyone in my house loves. Meatball subs.
Makes 4 big bread cobs with 16 meatballs
What You Need:
- 500g Steak mince
- 2 Onions
- 1 Courgette
- 1 Green pepper
- 500g Dolmio Bolognese Original sauce
- 4 Long sub bread cobs
- 6 Mature cheese slices halved
- 2 Large tomatoes sliced
- 4 Tbsp of Virgin olive oil
- 1 egg
- Mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper
- Take the mince out the packet and separate the mince into a large mixing bowl that you use for raw meat. Add a mixed up egg, salt, pepper, and mixed herbs. Mix together well and roll into 16 meatballs. Place the meatballs onto a tray, cover with clingfilm and place in a fridge until ready to use.
- Wash and chop the peppers and courgette up into chunks and slice the onion into quarters. Gently fry in some olive oil for around 5 minutes in a big pan that will also have room for the meatballs or use 2 smaller pans. (I used a big paella pan). Add a little bit more oil and pop the meatballs in the pan. Gently fry for about 10 minutes until the meatballs have browned.
- Transfer the ingredients into a smaller pan with a lid and add the Dolmio sauce, mix well.
- Simmer, slightly cover and cook for around 30 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through.
- 15 minutes before they are cooked, pre-heat oven fan 170c for 5 minutes. Slice open bread cobs, pop some cheese slices and tomatoes slices onto the bread cobs, then cook for 10 minutes.
- Take the bread cobs out of the oven and spoon 4 meatballs onto each and share the sauce onto the cobs.
Do you like meatball subs?
The kids loved them. My Daughter said they were the best things ever!! What’s She after?!!
About this post: This post is an entry for the #Dolmio #ThankGoodness Challenge, sponsored by Dolmio. Dolmio #thankgoodness. All thoughts are my own and I was not paid for this post.
For more food ideas, click here: Food And Drink.