Recipe courtesy of Watercress.
Watercress And Cheese Scones: Afternoon Tea. Hello friends. So how are you today? Are you planning afternoon tea? Cheese scones, anyone? So tasty.
Watercress And Cheese Scones: A tangy alternative to the traditional sweet scone served with cream. These watercress And cheese scones are so delicious with butter or perhaps topped with a cream cheese.
Watercress And Cheese Scones Great For Afternoon Tea:
I love cheese scones. So do you fancy making some watercress and cheese scones?
Enjoy these delicious scones that are ideal for afternoon tea while indulging in the exquisite combination of watercress and cheese. These scones will make your tea hour more enjoyable because they are buttery, flaky, and overflowing with fresh flavours. Enjoy the delicious combination of creamy cheese and peppery watercress, which makes every bite savoury. These Watercress and Cheese Scones are a delicious twist on a traditional treat that you can enjoy with your guests.
Table Of Contents:
Watercress And Cheese Scones:
- Firstly, Watercress And Cheese Scones Ingredients.
- Secondly, Watercress And Cheese Scones Method.
- Thirdly, More Recipe Ideas.
How To Make Watercress And Cheese Scones:
Cooking: 15 – 20mins
- 100g watercress
- 225g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder (optional)
- A pinch of salt
- 50g butter, cubed
- 75g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 200ml buttermilk plus a little for brushing the tops
- A pinch or two of cayenne pepper
Watercress And Cheese Scones (How To Make):
- Firstly, preheat the oven to 220oC/Fan 200oC/ Gas Mark 7. Reserve a few small sprigs of watercress to decorate the tops. Finely chop the remainder.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and mustard into a large bowl. Add the salt, butter, then use your fingertips to rub it into the dry ingredients. Stir in the chopped watercress and two thirds of the cheese, mix well.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, add the buttermilk and mix together with a round bladed knife to form a soft dough.
- Very lightly knead on a floured surface, then use a floured rolling pin to roll the dough to a thickness of 2.5cm. Use a 6cm plain round cutter to press out circles of the dough, re-rolling lightly, as necessary. The mixture should make 9 scones.
- Place the scones on an oiled large baking sheet. Brush each with a little buttermilk (or milk), top with a sprig of watercress, then scatter over the remaining cheese. Dust with a little pinch of cayenne if liked, then bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 mins or until golden on the top. Leave to cool on the baking tray for 5 mins before serving warm.
Watercress And Cheese Scones: How To Make Some
This recipe was created by Keri Astill-Frew who splits her time between being a development chef for The Watercress Company and building her own vegetarian and vegan catering business, V Dorset.
Keri has also worked in top restaurants across the UK including a Michelin star hotel in Lancashire and a variety of fine dining restaurants and gastro-pubs in Dorset and Sussex.
She is passionate about watercress, both as an ingredient and for its fantastic health benefits and is devoted to developing new and delicious ways for you to incorporate more of it into your diet.
So for more information and many more recipes please visit The Watercress Company or Watercress.
Watercress And Cheese Scones: Afternoon Tea. Recipe Photography credits Lara Jane Thorpe.
You Might Also Like:
Perfect Egg Mayonnaise And Watercress Sandwiches:
Perfect Egg Mayonnaise And Watercress Sandwiches. Firstly, How tasty!? Yum!! Fancy making some afternoon tea sandwiches? These are also great for making Mum on Mother’s Day. What better way to start the proceedings than with a classic egg and mayonnaise sandwich given added piquancy by fresh peppery watercress? Perfect Egg Mayonnaise And Watercress Sandwiches.
Rare Roast Beef, Wasabi And Watercress Bagels. Secondly, carrying on my Mother’s Day Afternoon tea recipes, I am sharing Rare a Roast Beef, Wasabi And Watercress Bagels recipe.
For the carnivores try this modern twist on the original sandwich eaten by the Earl of Sandwich back in 1762 who is said to have first put some beef and watercress between two slices of bread so he could eat without interrupting his card game! Rare Roast Beef, Wasabi And Watercress Bagels.
Chocolate, Orange & Watercress Brownies with Chocolate Ganache Topping. Thirdly, chocolate, orange and watercress may not seem the most obvious combination but by golly, it works! The sharp pepper of the watercress contrasts deliciously with the citrus flavours and bitterness of the chocolate to make a truly mouth-watering treat. Chocolate, Orange & Watercress Brownies.
Carrot Cake with Watercress & Cream Cheese Frosting (vegan and gluten free). Fourthly, the classic smooth cream cheese filling of carrot cake is given a kick with the addition of watercress. It complements the sweetness of the carrot cake and nutty texture of the nuts.
It could be one for the Mad Hatter but don’t tell your mother that! Carrot Cake with Watercress & Cream Cheese Frosting (vegan and gluten free).
Gin, Watercress And Pink Grapefruit Cocktail:
Fifthly, of course, it may be that tea is preferred on an occasion such as this, but on the other hand, continue the adventure with this exotic watercress infused cocktail to wash everything down. Gin, Watercress And Pink Grapefruit Cocktail.
Afternoon Tea Recipes: Spoil Your Mum On Mother’s Day. Last but not least, are you looking for some afternoon tea recipes? Something you can make up at home that is also fun? Mother’s Day (22nd March, tomorrow) is the annual opportunity to really treat that special lady and show her how much you care. So how about making her afternoon tea? Afternoon Tea Recipes: Spoil Your Mum On Mother’s Day.
Watercress And Cheese Scones: Afternoon Tea.
You Might Also like These Scone Recipes:
Firstly, BerryWorld Blueberry And Buttermilk Scones With Fresh BerryWorld Blueberry Jam. Light and fruity and simply served split open, with the tastiest freshest tasting jam spooned generously on top. These scones are also as close to heaven on a plate as you can get. BerryWorld Blueberry And Buttermilk Scones With Fresh BerryWorld Blueberry Jam.
Secondly, Cheese, Celery And Walnut Scones With Parsley Butter. Tasty and very moreish these savoury scones should be served warm with the butter gently melting so you can swirl in a nutty-sweet stick of celery. It makes a perfect combination ideal for a light lunch or teatime treat. How To Make Cheese, Celery And Walnut Scones With Parsley Butter.
Watercress And Cheese Scones: Afternoon Tea. If you like this post, why not follow along so you never miss a post? So I hope you have enjoyed today’s post. So if you like, you can also share your thoughts here too in the comments below.