Welsh Beef Christmas Chunky Cottage Pie…
Cooking Time- About 2 ½ hours
- 900g (2lb) Lean Welsh Beef braising steak, cut into cubes
- 15ml (1tbsp) Oil
- 2 Red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 Garlic clove, crushed
- 100g (4oz) Tinned chestnuts
- 15ml (1tbsp) Flour
- 15ml (1tbsp) Tomato ketchup
- 150ml (¼pt) Beef stock
- 150ml (¼pt) Ale
- 5ml (1tsp) Dark brown sugar
- Pinch allspice
- 900g (2lbs) Potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- Little milk for mashing potatoes (approx 8 x 15ml)
- 1 Red onion sliced
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 5ml (1tsp) Soft brown sugar
- 15ml (1tbsp) Fresh thyme, chopped
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 180˚C, 350˚F.
- Heat the oil in large ovenproof pan with a lid. Add the onion wedges and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Add Welsh Beef cubes and brown.
- Add the garlic, chestnuts, flour, ketchup, stock, ale, sugar, spice and season.
- Bring to the boil and then cover with lid or foil and place in oven for 2 hours until the meat is tender.
- Place prepared potatoes in a large pan, add just enough boiling water to cover and fast simmer with the lid on for about 10-15 minutes until soft.
- Drain potatoes and mash with a little milk.
- Heat the butter in small pan and slowly cook red onion slices for 2-3 minutes, add sugar and continue to cook until caramelised and browned.
- Add the onions to the mash and stir through the mashed potatoes.
- Remove the Welsh Beef from the oven, sprinkle with thyme leaves and pile the mash on top.
- Return to oven for about 20 minutes until mash is golden.
Serve with Seasonal Cheer!!
Recipe and photo credits- Welsh Beef Christmas