Want to cheat at making a Christmas Cake?
Preparation – 30 minutes
Cooking time – 10 minutes
Serves – 8
- 1 x shop-bought rich fruit cake
- Vegetable oil
- 150g boiled fruit sweets
- 1 x 500g Tate & Lyle Royal Icing Sugar, sifted
- 5 tbsp. water
- Edible glitter
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Put the cake on a board and wrap some ribbon around the edge of the cake.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and brush lightly with oil.
- Unwrap the boiled sweets and put them on the baking sheet.
- Cook in the oven for 10 minutes until they have melted and run into each other.
- Let cool on the foil, then lift off and snip the pieces into shards.
- Mix the Tate & Lyle Icing Sugar and water together and whisk for 10 minutes.
- Using a small palette knife spread the icing over the top of the cake, flicking it into small peaks as you go.
- Then tease the edges of the icing down the sides to form icicles.
- While the icing is still soft, push the coloured sugar shards into the icing.
- Leave the cake to dry, sprinkle with edible glitter, then serve.
Recipe and photo credits- Tate & Lyle