Oven Baked Corn Flake Chicken Breast with Salsa anyone?
Gluten-free corn flakes make a wonderful substitute for breadcrumbs, and since it is oven-baked rather than fried, you save on calories, too.
Recipe and image courtesy of Lisa Roukin My Relationship With Food Cookbook.
How To Make Lisa Roukin’s Oven Baked Corn Flake Chicken Breast with Salsa:
- 4 chicken breast
- 150-200g gluten-free corn flakes
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp honey Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- garlic granules
- sea salt and white pepper
- cooking oil spray
- 1 mango
- 3 avocados
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1⁄4 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 4 handfuls rocket
Preparation time – 40 mins, cooking time – 40 mins
- Preheat the oven to 400°F, gas mark 6, 200°C (180°C fan-assisted). Spray the cooking oil onto your baking tray. Wash your chicken breast and dry with paper towels.
- Place the corn flakes in a plastic bag and crush with your hands until the flakes have broken down. On a plate, combine with a sprinkle of sesame seeds, sea salt and white pepper. Toss together.
- In a separate bowl large enough to hold the two chicken breast at a time, crack the whole egg and beat.
- Season the egg with the Worcestershire sauce, honey Dijon mustard, garlic granules, and a bit more sea salt and white pepper.
- Coat the chicken breast in the egg mixture then carefully place the chicken breast on the plate with the seasoned corn flakes, and coat both sides, repeat with the remaining breast, place on the baking tray.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, ensuring presentation side (rounded part of the breast) is facing up.
- To make the avocado salsa, halve the avocados, remove the stone and peel away the skin, cut the flesh into 1cm cubes and place in a large bowl.
- Peel the mango and cut both sides close to the pip, then into 1cm cubes, then add to the same bowl as the avocado, mix together with the finely chopped red onion.
- Add the olive oil, sweet chili and season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Gently stir the ingredients; you can mash the avocado slightly, but keep it quite chunky.
- Remove the chicken breast from the oven and rest for 8 minutes before cutting.
- Garnish with the avocado salsa with rocket and wedge or two of lime.
The mango has an oblong pit in the centre. Cut along the sides of the pit, separating the flesh from the pit then, taking a mango half, use a knife to make lengthwise and crosswise cuts in it, but try not to cut through the peel. At this point you may be able to pull the segments right off of the peel with your fingers.