With the October half term fast approaching, I thought I would share some fun fruity recipes that are sure to keep the little ones occupied!
Produced by Dole in partnership with children’s Nutritionist Dr Sarah Schenker, the recipes are made with parents in mind and are packed full of healthy ingredients, ensuring their children are getting all of the goodness they need. Super simple to make, parents and their little ones can enjoy making them together – the perfect way to add some colour to a rainy day indoors this half term.
How about making some Fruit Flower Power Fondue?
A nutritious and healthy breakfast or snack that parents can make with the help of their children, and have fun eating too!
How To Make Fruit Flower Power Fondue:
NutriBullet or blender
For The Fruit Skewers:
- 20 wooden skewers
- A selection of Dole® Resealable Fridge Packs – for example, Tropical Gold® Pineapple Chunks, Peach and Mixed Fruit plus fresh apples, bananas and kiwi, diced into similar sized chunks.
For The Fruit Dip:
- 350g pack of Dole® frozen triple berry fruit
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 4 tbsp water
1. Thread 5-6 pieces of fruit onto each skewer and place on a large serving plate or platter.
2. Add the Dole® frozen triple berry fruit pack to a NutriBullet or blender, along with the chopped apples and 4 tbsps of water. Blend until smooth.
3. Transfer to a small bowl and place on a serving plate.
Serve with a small bowl of freeze-dried berries and dried apricots. Simply dip the skewers into the fruit dip to coat and then into the dried fruits to add a crunchier texture.
Sugar-Free and Gluten Free Peach Muffins:
Kids are always looking for a tasty after school snack, while parents want them to eat something healthy. These sugar free peach muffins are the perfect compromise.
Ingredients (makes 12 muffins):
- 25g butter, melted
- 1 apple, quartered, cored and grated
- ½ pack Dole® peach slices (in resealable fridge packs), drained and diced (reserve the juice)
- 1 egg
- 100ml reserved juice
- 300g gluten free flour
- 2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 50 pumpkin seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/Gas 7. Line a muffin tray with paper cases (12).
2. Place the pumpkin seeds in a plastic food bag and crush with a rolling pin.
3. Melt the butter in a small pan. Grate the apple into a bowl and mix with the Dole diced peaches. Beat the egg and then stir into the apple and peach, before adding the melted butter and reserved juice and stirring again (wet mixture).
4. Sieve the flour and baking powder into a separate bowl, then add the bicarbonate of soda and mixed spice (dry mixture).
5. Gradually stir the wet mixture into the dry mixture with a metal spoon until sticky and well combined. Stir in the pumpkin seeds.
6. Divide the cake mixture among the muffins cases in the muffin tray. Bake in the oven for 12–15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the muffins comes out clean.
Magic Unicorn Oats:
A fun and colourful but healthy breakfast that will give your little ones a magical start to the day.
- 200g medium oatmeal
- 8tbsp natural yoghurt
- ½ pack Dole® frozen blueberries (175g)
- ½ pack Dole® frozen raspberries (175g)
- ½ pack Dole®
- Tropical Gold® pineapple chunks (in resealable fridge packs) (175g), drained and chopped
- ½ pack Dole® peach slices (in resealable fridge packs) (175g), drained and chopped
- Half a small banana for the unicorn horn, two slices of peach for the unicorn ears and a handful of blueberries for the unicorn mane.
1. Take four bowls and place 50g of oatmeal into each one, then add 2 tbsp of the yoghurt to each bowl and the four different fruits (one to each bowl). Stir well and leave in the fridge overnight.
2. In the morning you should have four brightly coloured mixtures.
3. Take a tall glass jar and gently spoon in the different mixtures in even layers to create a rainbow of colours. Top with a layer of fresh blueberries, two peach slices for the unicorn ears and half a banana for the unicorn horn.
Pineapple & Chicken Salad Cups:
The ultimate savoury snack, perfect to serve to your children and their friends after school or ideal for lunchboxes.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100g diced chicken breast
- ½ tsp Chinese Five-spice
- ½ pack Dole® Tropical Gold® pineapple chunks (in resealable fridge packs)- drained and chopped (reserve the juice)
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved (or quartered if you’re making this for young children)
- 2 tbsp reserved pineapple juice
- ½ green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 gem lettuce
- Handful of chopped coriander leaves
1. Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a pan and add the diced chicken, sprinkle with the Chinese Five-spice and cook for 10 minutes until cooked through. Transfer into a bowl and allow it to cool.
2. Mix in the Dole pineapple chunks, spring onion and cherry tomatoes.
3. Make a dressing by placing the reserved pineapple juice, chilli, white wine vinegar and remaining oil into a bowl and whisking together.
4. Separate leaves from the gem lettuce and place on a platter. Fill each leaf with a dollop of the chicken mixture and drizzle over a little dressing, finish with a sprinkle of coriander leaves.
Monster Strawberry And Quinoa Smoothie Bowls:
Smoothie bowls are a fantastic way to get a quick nutritious breakfast. Your family will thank you later!
Serves: 2- 3
NutriBullet or blender
The Smoothie Bowls:
- ½ pack Dole® frozen strawberries
- 1 large banana
- 2 tbsp quinoa flakes
- 2 tbsp thick natural yoghurt
- 150ml milk
A selection of your favourite fruits, peeled and chopped – Dole Resealable Fridge Packs are great for this.
1. Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend together and divide between two bowls.
2. Place in the fridge for around an hour.
3. When ready to serve, decorate with pieces of fruit to make scary monster faces (or pretty patterns)
What do you think?
Fancy making any of these recipes?
Recipes and images c/o Dole®