A Recipe From Milly’s Cookbook: Cinnamon And Chai Tea Poached South African Pears.
Today I have a recipe to share with you, created by Nicola Millbank using South African pears, available in UK supermarkets until October.
South African pears are mainly grown in the Western Cape. Areas including Elgin, Ceres and Wolseley are particularly well known for their pear production. South African fruit is also an ethical choice because of its role in developing the country in the last 20 years.
They contain high levels of antioxidant nutrients in pears are critical in building up your immune system. The high content of pectin in pears make it very useful in helping to lower cholesterol levels and the dietary fibre they contain helps to maintain a healthy digestive system.
How To Make Cinnamon And Chai Tea Poached South African Pears:
- 2 chai tea bags
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 300ml of boiling water
- 150g of castor sugar
- 4 ripe South African pears, but not soft
- Select a saucepan that fits all four pears in snugly which also allows for the lid to go on without crushing them.
- Pour the boiling water into the pan, add the sugar and cinnamon stick and place the chai tea bags into the water. Bring to the boil for ten minutes to dissolve the sugar then squeeze the teabags out and remove them along with the cinnamon stick.
- Peel the pears and de-core them from the bottom and cut the bottoms off of them so they stand up.
- Pop the pears into the pan on their sides with the chai sugar water and turn down to a simmer, pop the lid on and poach for 15 – 20 minutes depending on how ripe your pears are. Turn the pears halfway through cooking to get a nice even colour.
- Once the pears are soft, remove them from the pan and bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce for about 10 minutes until you have a syrup.
- Serve the pears standing up with the syrup poured over the top.
Recipe courtesy of:
Milly’s Real Food by Nicola “Milly” Millbank is available nationwide, HQ/HarperCollins £20. Photography by Susanna Blavarg.
What do you think of this Cinnamon And Chai Tea Poached South African Pears recipe by Nicola Millbank?
Fancy trying it?