Recipe and image courtesy of Windmill Mayfair.
The Windmill Mayfair’s Award-Winning Steak And Kidney Pie Recipe.
The Windmill Mayfair’s Award-Winning Steak & Kidney Pie. “The institute of pie excellence” *, The Windmill Mayfair, are sharing their award-winning secret recipe for the country’s most-loved pie so you can enjoy a slice of the British Pie Week action from Young’s at home.
The Windmill Mayfair’s Award-Winning Steak And Kidney Pie Recipe:
3kg of beef skirt
900g ox kidney
150g beef dripping
900g field mushrooms
450g sliced white onion
75g plain flour
75ml Worcester sauce
50g English mustard
38ml mushroom ketchup
3 bay leaves
2 sprigs of thyme
1.5 pints Young’s Bitter
500ml beef stock
For The Top:
400g self-raising flour
200g shredded suet
1.) First things first, take the meat out of the fridge at least two hours before cooking and leave in a cool, dry place.
2.) Heat the dripping in a saucepan then add the sliced onions. Cook until soft, but not coloured, then add the beef skirt and colour lightly.
3.) Add the plain flour then turn up the heat to brown the meat. Add the ox kidney and all other ingredients, except the beer and stock. Combine well.
4.) Gradually add the stock and beer then simmer gently until the meat is tender. Mix in the fresh parsley then transfer to a pie dish. Set aside.
5.) Let’s build! Sieve the self-raising flour into a bowl then add the shredded suet, fresh parsley and seasoning. Gradually add fresh, cold water and combine gently – avoid over-working the pastry. It’s ready when the mixture comes away from the sides of the bowl.
6.) Roll the pastry into a ball and cover in cling film. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
7.) Heat the oven to 200 degrees C.
8.) Roll out the pastry until it’s around 1cm thick then cover the pie mixture. Brush with a beaten egg then place in the oven for 45 minutes.
9.) Leave to rest for 5 minutes then serve piping hot with creamy mash and plenty of gravy!
The Windmill Mayfair’s Award-Winning Steak And Kidney Pie Recipe. Recipe and image courtesy of Windmill Mayfair.
You Might Also Like:
- Indian Turkey Curry With Shallots: Fiery Curry Recipe
- Turkey, Gammon And Sprout Pot Pie: A Perfect Recipe At
- Christmas Leftover Veg Tart For A Delicious Meal
- Fruit And Nut Stuffing Bake And How To Make Some
- Cranberry Glazed Christmas Ham: A Classic Recipe
- California Walnut And Lemon Parsley Spaghetti
- LOVE Life Chicken And Leek Patchwork Pie Recipe
- Asparagus, Tuna And Bean Salad With Shallot: How To
- Radish And Celery Potato Salad: Healthy Lunch Ideas
- Chantenay Toad In The Hole: Classic Comfort Food
- Slow-roast Lamb With Garlic, Honey And Cumin
- 3 Heart Healthy Recipes From California Walnuts
- 14 Sweet And Savoury Pie Recipes For #NationalPieDay
- Have An “Ham-azing” New Year With Parma Ham
- Watercress Sorbet: Give Yourself a Peppery Health