Food Of Love….
Makes 8 servings:
- 275g/10oz caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- Zest and juice of 1 1/2 unwaxed lemons
- 120mls/4floz extra virgin olive oil
- 100ml/3 ½ floz milk 2
- 75g/10oz plain flour,
- sifted 1 level tbsp baking powder,
- sifted 1 pack fondant icing Red food colouring
- Icing sugar for sifting
- over Fresh raspberries
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F Gas 5.
- Whisk sugar and eggs together until fluffy and pale.
- Add lemon zest and juice.
- Stir in olive oil and milk.
- Fold in the flour and baking powder.
- Line the base of a deep, loose bottomed 24cm/10in with parchment paper.
- Carefully pour mix into the pan and smooth over top.
- Bake for around 45 minutes or until top is firm and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin, then turn out onto a wire rack.
- For the decoration, roll out fondant icing thinly.
- Cut out hearts in various sizes.
- Using a small, clean paintbrush or pastry brush, paint hearts with red colouring.
- Dust top of cake with icing sugar, then arrange red hearts on the top.
- Serve with fresh raspberries, or for extra luxury, scoops of clotted cream.
Recipe and photo credits- the Interprofessional Olive Oil from Spain.