Douwe Egberts Coffee Yule Log….
Prep time 15 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes
- 175g dark plain chocolate 70% cocoa solids
- 150ml hot water with 2 tbsp Douwe Egberts Pure Gold coffee dissolved in the water
- 6 medium eggs, separated
- 175g golden caster sugar
For the filling:
- 300ml double cream
- 2-3tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp Douwe Egberts Pure Gold coffee dissolved in 3 tsp hot water
- A little sifted icing sugar
- A few holly leaves
- A few fresh raspberries or soft seasonal fruit
- Grease and line a 38 x 28 cm Swiss roll tin with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
- Melt the chocolate with the coffee water in a small heatproof dish over a pan of hot water.
- Stir until smooth.
- Whisk up the egg yolks and sugar together with an electric whisk until pale, thick and trebled in volume.
- Beat in the melted chocolate.
- In a grease free bowl whisk up the egg whites until they hold soft peaks.
- Stir in a third of the egg white into the chocolate mixture to loosen it.
- With a spatula gently fold in the egg white until everything is evenly mixed.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until springy to the touch.
- Cover the cooked roulade with a clean damp cloth and leave until cold.
- Once cold cover with cling film and leave for 6 hours.
- Meanwhile, whisk the cream with the sugar and coffee until the cream just holds its shape.
- Don’t over whisk.
- Lightly dust a large sheet of parchment paper with sifted icing sugar.
- Remove the cling film and turn out on to the sugared paper.
- Trim the edges of the roulade and spoon and spread over the cream mixture and roll it up starting from the long side on.
- Use the sugared paper to help you.
- It will form cracks don’t worry.
- Decorate with raspberries if liked.
- Decorate with holly and serve in slices.
Recipe and photo credit by- Douwe Egberts