Are you looking for Valentine’s Day dinner starter?
How about making some of these Scallops Grilled with Hazelnut Butter, Watercress and Pea Shoots?
How To Make Scallops Grilled with Hazelnut Butter, Watercress and Pea Shoots:
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 6 large scallops, cleaned (shells optional for presentation)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 45g hazelnuts
- 1 shallot
- 75g butter, softened
- Zest of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp. chopped chervil
- Salt and pepper
For the salad:
- ½ tbsp. wholegrain mustard
- ½ tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 ½ tbsp. sunflower oil
- 1 handful pea shoots
- 1 handful watercress
How To Make:
- Place a frying pan on a low-medium heat until warm. Finely slice the shallot, then fry gently with the olive oil until softened. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add the hazelnuts to a food processor and pulse until chopped quite finely. Be careful not to blend for too long so that they do not form a paste.
- Into a bowl add the soft butter, hazelnuts, softened shallots, lemon zest, and chervil. Mix and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the grill to high. If using scallop shells, place each scallop on an individual shell on a baking tray. If not the scallops can be placed directly onto the tray. Top each scallop with a spoonful of the hazelnut and butter mixture. Once the grill is ready, place the scallops underneath for 3-4 minutes, then remove and set aside to rest for one minute.
- Make the salad by whisking the mustard, vinegar and vegetable oil together in a bowl. Taste and add salt if necessary, then add in the watercress and pea shoots and toss together.
- Serve the rested scallops on two serving plates with the salad on the side.
Recipe courtesy of Watercress:
For these and other tempting watercress recipes, visit Watercress.
These recipes were created by development chef Keri Astill-Frew. Keri has worked in top restaurants across the UK including a Michelin star hotel in Lancashire and a variety of fine dining restaurants and gastro-pubs in Dorset and Sussex. She is passionate about watercress, both as an ingredient and for its fantastic health benefits, and is devoted to developing new and delicious ways for you to incorporate more of it into your diet.
Recipe Photography: Lara Jane Thorpe
What do you think of this Scallops Grilled with Hazelnut Butter, Watercress and Pea Shoots recipe?
Fancy trying it?
Share your thoughts in the comments below ⇣