Happy Tuesday. I hope you had a lovely Bank Holiday weekend? We did. Me and my Daughter went to the seaside for a few days to see my Mum and Dad, whilst my Husband had to stay home and work.
Now Spring is in full swing it is time to shake up our meal planning and add some tasty Summer recipes to our go-to food list. Yeah, it is time to put the slow cooker away for a few months and start eating more creative salads.
We love Summer salads and BBQ’S in the garden and although we do miss our mashed potatoes throughout Summer we do look forward to New Potatoes coming into the season.
After a cold and miserable Winter, we really look forward to finding the Jersey Royal new potatoes in the shops as it is always a sign that Spring has arrived.
This week I have teamed up with Tesco to share a tasty Spring recipe with Jersey Royal new potatoes as they are right in season and instore now.
Tesco Jersey Royals are delicious, earthy and nutty and one of the traditional foodie items. What’s not to love!?
A fun fact; did you know that Jersey Royals can only be grown on the island of Jersey?
I made a tasty Summer Salad with my Tesco Jersey Royals. I baked my potatoes but this recipe would work well with boiled, roasted or baked Jersey Royals.
Cooking time around 1 hour 15 minutes
Tesco Jersey Royals Warm Summer Salad:
You Will Need:
For The Baked Potatoes:
- 1Kg bag of Tesco New Jersey Royal potatoes ( I used the bigger ones, not the baby Jersey Royals)
- 3 Tbsp of virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
For The Hummus:
- 400g Tinned chickpeas, washed and drained
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- Sea salt and ground pepper
- Olive oil and a drop of water
For The Salad:
- 1 Pre-packed bistro salad with Spinach and beetroot
- Half of a British iceberg lettuce
- 350g Cheery tomatoes
- 6 Radishes, sliced
You Will Also Need:
- 200g Smoked bacon lardons
- 170g Fresh Asparagus
- Olive oil
- 150 Mature cheddar cheese, grated
- Butter for potatoes
What to do:
Preheat the oven to 180c
Gently scrub the potatoes and prick them with a fork. Pop them into a food bag or container and add 3 tbsp of olive oil, sea salt and ground pepper. Give the bag a shake and pop them into a suitable roasting tray.
Cook in the top half of the oven for around an hour to an hour and 15 minutes, turning halfway.
After around 45-minutes start to prepare your hummus and salad.
Rince your chickpeas, drain and pop them into a blender with the juice from one lemon and salt and pepper.
Blend until you find your favourite consistency. Add a little water and olive oil if too thick.
Set aside in little pots.
Wash your bistro mix, chop and wash your lettuce and mix together and pop onto a large plate.
Rinse your cherry tomatoes and radishes, slice the radishes and arrange on the salad plate.
With about 10 minutes left start to fry your lardons in a pan and asparagus in another pan.
Take your potatoes out of the oven. Cut them and add butter and cheese. Arrange on the big serving plate. Top with the cooked asparagus and bacon lardons.
Serve straight away.
About Jersey Royals:
- Jersey Royal new potatoes typically signify the start of spring and are one of the most warmly anticipated seasonal new produce items in the calendar.
- Jersey Royals are generally only available for a limited period each year and have a heritage that dates back 140 years.
- This season Jersey Royals have been delayed due to the severe cold weather conditions which have affected the UK and uncharacteristically Jersey itself.
- Jersey Royals have wide consumer appeal but are particularly attractive to scratch cooks and older demographics.
- Jersey Royals are still produced and harvested using many traditional practices such as planting the seed potatoes by hand, fertilising the potatoes using seaweed harvested from Jersey beaches and harvesting from the islands steep slopes using winch and cables.
- The potatoes are delivered directly from Jersey and are distinctive by their kidney shape, waxy texture and delicate skins.
- The Jersey Royal new Potato is the only potato that carries the EU Protected Designation of Origin mark of authenticity, like Cornish clotted cream, Champagne or Stilton cheese.
Tesco has just relaunched Jersey Royal New Potatoes in early May in a pre-pack and loose format. This product will be available until July depending on the amount of crop available. Jersey Royal new potatoes are ideal for boiling or steaming but are equally versatile for roasting too. Use them as part of a meal as a premium side dish or as the main centrepiece of a recipe.
Tesco Jersey Royal New Potatoes’ available from @Tesco.
What do you think of my Tesco Jersey Royals Warm Summer Salad Recipe? Fancy making some? We all loved it and ate ever bit of it as it was so tasty!
About this post: This is a commisioned post for Tesco. As always all thoughts are my own.