Butternut Squash, Sage And Comté Risotto.
To celebrate cooking all year round with Comté, Chef Laura Pope has crafted six tasty new seasonal recipes.
Today I am sharing Butternut squash, sage and Comté risotto.
Hearty and comforting, the creaminess of the risotto, the earthiness of the squash and the tang of the sage make this one of my all-time favourite autumnal meals.
This recipe is gluten-free.
How To make Butternut Squash, Sage And Comté Risotto:
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed (and discarded) and flesh cut into cubes of no more than 2cm
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 banana shallots, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 320g risotto rice
- 175ml dry white wine
- 1 litre chicken / vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon sage, chopped
- 50g butter
- 75g grated Comté (aged 8 months)
- 25g shaved Comté (aged 24 months)
- Turn the oven to 180℃ fan. Mix the butternut squash and 1 tablespoon of olive oil with a pinch of salt and ground black pepper in a large roasting tin and cook for 30 minutes, then turn the pieces of squash over (so they cook evenly) and roast for another 10 minutes until cooked through and deep golden brown at the edges.
- In a large pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over a low-medium heat and fry the shallots until soft but not golden (about 5 minutes). Add the garlic, stir for 30 seconds, then stir in the rice and turn the heat to medium. Stirring constantly, fry the rice until it is opaque around the edges (about 4 minutes), then pour in the wine and reduce it until it becomes syrupy (about 3 minutes).
- Set a timer for 18 minutes and start adding the stock, one ladleful at a time (keep the rice covered with liquid at all times and keep it simmering).
- When the rice is done (after 18 minutes, or it may need a couple of minutes more), turn off the heat and then stir in the butternut squash, butter and grated Comté. Check the seasoning (add more salt or pepper if needed) and leave to rest, covered, for 5 minutes before serving with the shaved Comté scattered on top.
Recipe and image courtesy of Comté
What do you think of this Butternut Squash, Sage And Comté Risotto recipe?
Fancy making some?
You Might Also Like: