Do you love everything about Christmas and enjoy putting up a Christmas tree?
Fancy making you and the little ones some Christmas tree chips?
Ready in 30 mins
How To Make Christmas Tree Chips:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 4 x 400g tins of plum tomatoes
- 100ml Sarson’s Distillers Malt Vinegar
- 100g sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- 5 Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Sarson’s Malt Vinegar, to dress
How To Make:
- In a large saucepan, sauté the garlic in the olive oil for 1 min, then add the tomatoes and bring to the boil. Pour in the vinegar and sprinkle in the sugar and add the cinnamon stick, if using, then bring to a simmer just below boiling point. Hold the heat at this point, stirring occasionally, for 25 mins. Allow to cool and store in clean, sterilised bottles. It will keep, stored in the fridge for 1 week.
- Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil. Cook for 10 mins, then drain and cool. In a large bowl, mash the cooked potatoes, then mix in the onion, egg and plain flour.
- In a large frying pan, heat the rapeseed oil until sizzling. Add the potato mixture and flatten out into a large, thick potato cake. Cook for 3-4 mins on each side, until golden. Turn out onto a board and cut out the Christmas tree chips with a tree-shaped cutter. Serve, dressed with Sarson’s malt vinegar and the tomato sauce.
*Recipe and recipe photography c/o Sarson’s *
What do you think of these Christmas Tree Chips?
Fancy making some over Christmas?
Share your thoughts in the comments below.