Need to detox after all those Christmas festivities?
This light salad is just what you need. For a healthy packed lunch, cook the quinoa and toast the nuts and seeds the night before, then add the berries and salad leaves in the morning.
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 10-12 minutes
- 900ml (11/2 pint) vegetable stock
- 225g (8oz) quinoa
- 1 tablespoon sunflower or rice bran oil
- 4 tablespoons flaked almonds
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4cm (11/2 inch) piece root ginger, peeled, coarsely grated
- 2 teaspoons agave syrup
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 50g (2oz) spinach leaves
- 50g (2oz) shredded kale
- 175g (6oz) raspberries
- 100g (4oz) blueberries
- Add the vegetable stock to a saucepan and bring to the boil, add the quinoa and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the grains are just beginning to separate.
- Drain off most of the stock to leave just enough to keep the grains moist.
- Meanwhile, heat the sunflower or rice bran oil in a frying pan, add the almonds and sunflower seeds and fry over a medium heat until just beginning to brown.
- Take off the heat and stir in the soy sauce.
- Leave to cool.
About this post –
Recipe and photo credit by Seasonal Berries