Honey Cake with Elderflower Icing: Afternoon Tea Recipe. Hello friends, so how are you today?
This post contains affiliate links and banner ads. This means that if you click on one and make a purchase, I may receive a commission. You will not be charged any additional fees if you purchase through an affiliate link. Also affiliate links will be marked with a *.
Honey Cake with Elderflower Icing. Developed by Ian Cumming, a finalist in this year’s Great British Bake Off for Belvoir Fruit Farms and their elderflower cordial.
Honey Cake with Elderflower Icing: Afternoon Tea Recipe:
Honey Cake with Elderflower Icing. Indulge in the perfect blend of sweet and floral flavours with this exquisite Honey Cake with Elderflower Icing recipe. Learn how to create a moist, honey-infused cake, topped with a delicately fragrant elderflower icing. A delightful treat for any occasion. Discover the recipe now!
Makes two-layered 20cm cake
- 220g unsalted butter (room temp)
- 140g light muscovado sugar
- 140g honey
- ½ tsp of salt
- 4 large eggs
- 280g self-raising flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 3 balls stem ginger
- 3tbsp milk
- 2tbsp Belvoir Elderflower Cordial*
- 100g double cream
- 200g mascarpone cheese
- 50g Belvoir Elderflower Cordial
- 100g icing sugar
Honey Cake with Elderflower Icing Method:
- Firstly, grease and line two x 8 inch (20cm) cake tins. Preheat the oven to 180C. Finely chop the stem ginger.
- Using an electric mixer beat the butter, sugar, salt and honey for a few minutes until light and fluffy.
- One by one beat in the eggs making sure each is well and truly mixed in before adding the next.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and carefully fold in.
- Carefully fold in the stem ginger.
- Finally fold in milk. Split between the two tins and bake for approx 25 minutes or until a knife comes out cleanly from the middle. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before turning out from tins and placing on cooling rack.
- Pour 1tbsp of cordial over the top of each cake.
- Put the double cream in a mixing bowl and whisk until just starting to thicken. Add remaining icing ingredients and very briefly beat until combined – be careful not to over-beat.
- Place one of the cakes on the plate on which it is going to be served.
- Put approx a quarter of the icing in a freezer bag or in icing bag. Snip off corner and then pipe 1 to 2 cm circles all around the edge of the bottom cake. Pipe the rest inside the circles and then use up to another quarter of the icing to cover the rest of the cake.
- Gently place other sponge on top. Spread remaining icing over top. Pipe rosettes around edge if you have the necessary piping bags/nozzles.
Honey Cake with Elderflower Icing:
Alternative: So if you are not so keen on icing and prefer a less sweet cake then halve the amount of icing and spread some good quality lemon curd between the two layers of sponge.
Honey Cake with Elderflower Icing Cook’s Tip:
- If you’re not keen on piping, simply spread the icing over the top of both cakes and sandwich together.
- Honey Cake with Elderflower Icing: Of course, great for Afternoon Tea.
- So what do you think about this recipe? Do you also fancy trying it? Because I know I do!
Honey Cake with Elderflower Icing. Recipe and photography by Belvoir Fruit Farms.
You Might Also Like:
Did You Also See:
Carrot Cake with Watercress & Cream Cheese Frosting:
Carrot Cake with Watercress & Cream Cheese Frosting (vegan and gluten free). Firstly, the classic smooth cream cheese filling of carrot cake is given a kick with the addition of watercress. It complements the sweetness of the carrot cake and nutty texture of the nuts. It could be one for the Mad Hatter but don’t tell your mother that! Carrot Cake with Watercress & Cream Cheese Frosting.
Flourless California Walnut Cake With Poached Pears. Secondly, do you fancy making a Flourless California Walnut Cake With Poached Pears? So at the minute with the Coronavirus, flour has been very hard to get your hands on. No need to stop making cake, make a flourless one!! Flourless California Walnut Cake With Poached Pears.
Martha Collison’s Heart-Shaped Churros With Hot Chocolate Dip. Thirdly, fancy making these Martha Collison’s Heart-Shaped Churros With Hot Chocolate Dip? How yummy!? Martha Collison’s Heart-Shaped Churros With Hot Chocolate Dip.
A Classic Red Velvet Cake Recipe:
Fourthly, A Classic Red Velvet Cake Recipe. A Valentine’s Day Treat. Based on the US classic, this beautiful cake will suit any special occasion or family get-together. The pale butter icing contrasts well with the red sponge layers. A Classic Red Velvet Cake Recipe. Valentine’s Day treat.
Martha’s Vegan Chocolate Cake By Martha Collison. Fifth, Fancy making a vegan chocolate cake? Martha’s Vegan Chocolate Cake By Martha Collison.
BerryWorld Blueberry And Apple Crumble Cake. Sixth, grab a slice of this cake to take to the display, a perfect treat to enjoy whilst warming up by the bonfire. BerryWorld Blueberry And Apple Crumble Cake. So yummy.
Squidgy Carrot And Courgette Cake. Seventh, so would you like to know how to use vegetables in cakes? Fancy making a Squidgy Carrot And Courgette Cake? Moist and delicious – this easy-to-make organic carrot and courgette cake will be a hit with your family and friends! This is probably one of my all time favourite carrot cake recipes from the blog too. Squidgy Carrot And Courgette Cake. So great for getting veggies into your diet.
Quick And Easy To Make Vegan Frosted Lemon Cake:
Eighth, Quick And Easy To Make Vegan Frosted Lemon Cake. if you’re wondering how to make a vegan cake, we have the perfect recipe. Ready in under an hour, this moist, fluffy vegan frosted lemon cake recipe makes a great vegan treat, particularly good with a cup of tea. Quick And Easy To Make Vegan Frosted Lemon Cake. So yummy.
11 Coffee Recipes For International Coffee Day. Ninth, 11 Coffee Recipes For International Coffee Day. So many fun ideas.
White Chocolate Gateau: White Chocolate Day. Last but no least, happy white chocolate day. Love white chocolate? I do! So White Chocolate Gateau anyone? A White Chocolate Gateau created by Gregg Wallace. White Chocolate Gateau: White Chocolate Day. So pretty,
Honey Cake with Elderflower Icing. Thanks so much for stopping by. Finally, I also hope you like this post If so why not follow along so you never miss a post? So remember you can also share your thoughts here too in the comments below.
Honey Cake with Elderflower Icing:
Honey Cake with Elderflower Icing. Claire Justine Oxox- Over 50s Lifestyle Blog. You can also read more about me here: Over 50s Lifestyle Blog. Also, follow along on Facebook for regular updates. So remember you can also share your thoughts here too in the comments below.